Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 187 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 55 105 ... LastLast

Digging in Norway & Kurland

Article about: Hi everybody! I have been a lurker in these forums for a few years and found it was time to present myself and open a thread where I will post some pics from expeditions and finds. Some of t

?

About flare gun ammo,,NOT that I am going to try it myself,or drag them home,but can they be deactivated?

Just emptied 3 the other week, they should have a wax seal around the top rim, the top is just thin cardboard, under that there will be a felt ring. If you can get a very sharp knife and flick that out without damaging it all, the cylinder inside it should just pop out.
    Mine had been in storage for years so im not to sure on how different it would be to ground dug relics. do it out side as the cylinder is full of the dye that creates the color when it burns, Im typing this with Green finger tips still a week after haha. Enjoy and always be careful.
    MISH

?

So there is no Phosphor in the shells?

Be very careful as ground dug munitions can be very tricky. There is no HE in them but the "igniter"/detonator for the driving charge could get unstable. You do not want that to go off and ignite the driving charge!!! Be careful with static electricity etc. In general be very careful!

Regards, Lars

?

Great finds!!!

Quote by inka View Post
    In and around Trondheim you should be able do do some Nice digging,,I lived there for many years and I know some places I would love to search
    Cool, just from the very basic google searches I've found a map detailing a lot of the old German military installations in and around the city. I'm guessing a lot of the actual sites have been torn down and had new buildings re-built on top of them, at least the most central ones, so I think I'll have to start doing some more research on the locations situated on the outskirts of the city first and then work my way from there... I'm guessing digging up peoples backyard is somewhat frowned upon

The places you've shown so far look nice though, grown over and abandoned with no pesky onlookers around

?

Mish and Lars,thanks for Your comments. For now I will just dig the area to see if it is only flare ammo there,then we ll see,but I dont think I will start trying to deactivate them..
    Trondk-Glad you like it
    Slados28: Also a problem With Trondheim area is there is lots of old era sites too,like viking stuff,,I think digging at such Places is frowned upon too

?

Well,so I was ofcourse back to the forest today.I was tired coz I just had to stay up and watch the Northern lights last night,it was awesome! This morning it had rained so the forest was wet,but that does not matter much when you want to dig now does it?

As soon as I turned on the metal detector heading to the flare ammo Place this one made a beep..And ofcourse the batteries on my camera died at this point,luckily I had my phone..

I opened up a hole in the middle section of what I dug yesterday to find how deep layer of the ammo it really is. It must really have been a sight when they filled this ditch,around 40 cm Down I found the first and it went Down for at least 30-40 cm before I reached the bottom.I couldnt use the shovel just had to try get loose a few of them at a time,difficult

?

.. It sometimes came little squeeks and peeps from the growing pile of flares,alittle freaky After reaching the bottom and sides of the ditch,I filled it up and saved the rest for another day,I needed to move around alittle bit..

..buut I didnt move very far before I had to dig again,here I had loads of good hits but it was overgrown With big b****s of some stingy burny plants so I have to go back there later,,with a weed wacker

I bet you have guessed it..more rifle ammo,,from 1917 this time..

?

After this I went around for an hour or so finding little but nails and foil,but just when I started moving back to the car I localized what can be a garbage pit,,something for another day,,maybe tomorrow

Flare gun ammo is legal to own in many EU countries so check Your laws and maybe there is no need to deactivate it at all. Anyway, very interesting finds!

Page 5 of 187 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 55 105 ... LastLast