Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Digging trip to German Coastal Defense Battery

Article about: Absolutely fantastic Vegar, great job, thanks for sharing the photos and your finds.

Default Digging trip to German Coastal Defense Battery

In my winter vacation, I visited a German coastal defense battery about 30 min away from our house. I had heard and read a bit about it, but I had never been there. It was much bigger than I had expected. Right when we arrive, there is a family coming down, I speak to the father and he mentions that his brother is the landowner. So of course I have to ask him if I could have his/his brother's permission to dig there, and he says yes. He had been there a couple of times with a metal detector and found a lot of weird stuff(He said he had also found a dagger that to me sounded like a German dress dagger). His father/grandfather had been there after the war and helped clean up after the Germans, he got a hold of a crate with a Krag Jørgensen and loads of ammunition for it(Which is in the possession of the landowner's brother), hopefully I'll get to see it one day, could be interesting.

Day 1:
    Recon, and getting permission to dig
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Digging trip to German Coastal Defense Battery   Digging trip to German Coastal Defense Battery  

Digging trip to German Coastal Defense Battery   Digging trip to German Coastal Defense Battery  

Digging trip to German Coastal Defense Battery   Digging trip to German Coastal Defense Battery  

Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

?

Default Re: Digging trip to German Coastal Defense Battery

Excellent images Vegar, thank you sharing those with us all.

Cheers,

Carl

Great photos ! Do you have period shots of it ?

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Day 2:
    Digging

I got a hold of a friend of mine and we went digging. Since the area is so big, and I am not sure where there might be a dump etc, I have mostly dug around some AA positions(Need to get some more info from the landowner).

We found a lot of 20mm shells and rifle rounds(Most were Krag Jørgensen).

I got a bit annoyed at my friend after a while since he was the only one finding anything. His first find was a very nice half of a 20mm shell. My finds were as follows in the first hour or so: Nails, rusty shit, barbed wire, piece of a pole, beer can(I was sure it was a 20mm shell since my friend had found so many 20mm shells around there) and finally a stump of a very rusty 20mm shell.

His finds after 1-2 hours:

And my find on the right...

AA position we dug a lot around:

My luck eventually started to turn, and I found some Rifle rounds(one .303 round) and 13 20mm shells(My friend found 15).
    Even though it was very windy and cold(Winter didn't want to let go), it was a nice trip, we spent about 8 or so hours there. I'll see if I can get a picture of my finds cleaned up later today.

- - Updated - -

Quote by Woolgar View Post
    Great photos ! Do you have period shots of it ?

Nick
    I found one which shows a couple of barracks etc, but none of the gun emplacements etc, I'll see if I can upload it later today.
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

Day 3:
    More digging

A couple of weeks back we started to move things to the new house(I live in East-Norway now, and I am moving to West-Norway, which is where the coastal defense battery is), I brought along a couple of boxes of Post-War stuff(See this thread, page 2: New War Room - You can help! ) and since the weather was so beautiful, I decided to take a trip to the coastal defense battery. My friend didn't have time, nor did the landowner's brother, but it was a nice day anyways.

Some of the heavy stuff:

Ration tins:

Positions:

Unidentified finds:

Markings on one of the 105mm Cannons:

A German soldier's failed attempt at making a swastika?:

Looks like somebody has had a paintball war:

Below are the finds of the day:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Digging trip to German Coastal Defense Battery   Digging trip to German Coastal Defense Battery  

Best Regards

Vegard T.

?

Very nice. Always cool to go digging. Beautiful nature.

Regards, Lars

Very cool mate, great area. If you find a helmet in one of the bunkers pm me

?

get yourselves a magnet Vegar,i bet there's stuff to find in the sea there

Quote by KradSpam View Post
    Very cool mate, great area. If you find a helmet in one of the bunkers pm me
    I doubt there will be anything to find in the bunkers, but if I do find a helmet, I'll PM you. Not to sell it, but to brag about it
    Best Regards

Vegard T.

Quote by Atle M View Post
    get yourselves a magnet Vegar,i bet there's stuff to find in the sea there
    I do have a magnet, but it is very very very small, I need to get myself a new one. The landowner's brother told me that there was a boat that was transporting ammunition after the war, and one time it nearly tipped over, spilling much ammunition/shells overboard and it fell under the pier you can see in post 1(picture 6). I was very tempted to magnet fish after it, but then he told me that a lot of live 105 mm rounds also fell overboard, which I'd rather not play around with.
    Best Regards

Vegard T.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast