Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Even more airfield scavenging.

Article about: Never one to follow fashion, finally got around to visiting one of my local bases. Had a couple of photos from the ground as well as aerial shots. Unfortunately the field had recently been s

?

Default Even more airfield scavenging.

Never one to follow fashion, finally got around to visiting one of my local bases. Had a couple of photos from the ground as well as aerial shots. Unfortunately the field had recently been seeded so the landowner wouldn't allow any digging. A few identifiable fragments were sticking out of the soil including bits of P51, Lancaster and Albermarle. A bit feeble compared to some efforts but an entertaining hour!

Default Re: Even more airfield scavenging.

Wow Ian, Your site certainly has potential, keep on friendly terms with the land owner because you might be able to gain access between the crops or after ploughing which is bound to uncover a few goodies.
    I like your Then and Now picture comparison.
    All the best
    LUCKYSTRIKE

?

Thanks Luckystrike. The piece in the comparison is from under the wing of an Albermarle, a truly dreadful aircraft. New bits from a nearby site which is under grass. The stainless disc is British from a fuel transfer valve. Second piece made by Ryan Aeronautical co in the USA. Access panels could be from a Whitley. Hoping to find out soon.

Hi,
    Looks like you maybe on to a really good site there!!!

Do you know much about the Ryan aeronautical co? Iv found some bits on one of my air fields but couldnt really find out much about them. Hve a look.
    some help with theRyan aeronautical company

Andy.

Quote by ian_ View Post
    Never one to follow fashion, finally got around to visiting one of my local bases. Had a couple of photos from the ground as well as aerial shots. Unfortunately the field had recently been seeded so the landowner wouldn't allow any digging. A few identifiable fragments were sticking out of the soil including bits of P51, Lancaster and Albermarle. A bit feeble compared to some efforts but an entertaining hour!
    Is the black plastic looking chequered bit a pistol grip?

?

Sort of, it's part of the control column grip off a Mustang, very pistol shaped! The stainless piece is a link chute.