Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Even more finds

Article about: Got out for just over an hour on the same bit again 1: Two more caps 2: Two .50 cal heads 3: Two buckles 4: A flare cartridge 5: Not again 6: Intresting peice of trench art 7: More trench ar

Default Even more finds

Got out for just over an hour on the same bit again

1: Two more caps
    2: Two .50 cal heads
    3: Two buckles
    4: A flare cartridge
    5: Not again
    6: Intresting peice of trench art
    7: More trench art

Thats it for this week, going back next week.

Thanks for looking,
    JOhn
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Even more finds   Even more finds  

Even more finds   Even more finds  

Even more finds   Even more finds  

Even more finds  

Default Re: Even more finds

John

This site of yours is proving to be very productive. I love the hammered flat 50cal I wonder what on earth they were going to make it into!

On a seperate note, I clean my stuff by firstly using one of those all metal 'curly' pan scourers in hot soapy water, then a brillo pad, then a rinse. I also use a wire brush (it's actually a BBQ cleaning brush but it works a treat) to remove really stubborn stains. This method retains the relic quality of stuff but removes the crap

Those caps look interesting and, given you've now found three, I would speculate that they are possibly drop tank filler caps. The ones I find are different to yours but the number you're finding would indicate this is what they are. I am sure another forum member will correct me if I'm wrong !

That big buckle you have.....I have one EXACTLY the same ! It is off webbing....I just forget which bit

Interesting that the flare cartridge you have appears unfired. Maybe this was going to be part of some kind of trench art ?

Now I know the bit you're in is proving very productive but seriously....find the barracks ! If you're getting this amount of stuff from the base itself, the area around the barracks is going to be jammed with much more interesting (not that your finds to date aren't interesting....far from it !), stuff !

Cheers

Steve T
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Even more finds  

Sorry...meant to say.....those I have pictured have been positively ID'd as being off Bowater drop tanks, the type the USAAF used on Mustangs, P47's etc....

Steve T

I will jog Steve's memory The brass part from the 1937 pattern webbing is from a brace adaptor. See here:

1940 brace attachment outside

Cheers, Ade.

Hi Steve, that .50 cal I recon was going to be a lighter. Those caps you have found I found about 4 of them but I threw them in the bush because I thought they where rubbish I'll get them on my next trip. I. Have found an area where they would have camped. Had about 14 silver coins and loads of pennys and halfpennys ect there was also a ammo crate but it was stuck under some tree roots it's a good area but the mozzys bit me to death so I'll probably save it for the winter, All the best. John

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    I will jog Steve's memory The brass part from the 1937 pattern webbing is from a brace adaptor. See here:

1940 brace attachment outside

Cheers, Ade.
    Thanks mate it's always nice to see what they used to look like

Thanks Ade Memory officially jogged.

And whitehunter.....FOR HEAVENS SAKE ! Don't throw ANYTHING away until you've got it home, cleaned it and posted it up on here ! Now go back and get those Bowater drop tank filler caps !

Steve T

PS The PM you sent me was very nice, even thought it was completely blank. The best blank PM I've ever had.

Quote by Steve T View Post
    Thanks Ade Memory officially jogged.

And whitehunter.....FOR HEAVENS SAKE ! Don't throw ANYTHING away until you've got it home, cleaned it and posted it up on here ! Now go back and get those Bowater drop tank filler caps !

Steve T

PS The PM you sent me was very nice, even thought it was completely blank. The best blank PM I've ever had.
    HA! i still don't have a clue why i threw them away its the first time ive thrown anything away for about 3 years