Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Experimental Archeology?

Article about: Hello all, I was reading through the site this afternoon and noticed the threads regarding bulletholed items and that some of you suggested the possibility that they may be drilled/forged? I

Default Experimental Archeology?

Hello all,
    I was reading through the site this afternoon and noticed the threads regarding bulletholed items and that some of you suggested the possibility that they may be drilled/forged? It reminded me that about 15 years ago, before I had a chronograph, I was checking the power of one of my hunting air rifles after maintainance by taking a few shots at an enamel tin mug. The calibre was 5.56mm, similar to the holes in drago's coin. Out of curiousity I then buried and forgot about it. The thread encouraged me to go and dig it up. I've brushed off the loose dirt and enclose a couple of pictures.
    I'm tempted to try the test on the range with various calibres of full bore rifle, but can't bring myself to ruin any of my steel helmet collection !
    Please note; I'm not recommending anyone try this, the target was surrouded by sandbags, including over it because of the danger of richochetes.
    Curious as ever,
    navyman.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Experimental Archeology?   Experimental Archeology?  

Default Re: Experimental Archeology?

Interesting results

Very useful reference pictures.

Actually, if you get really close to the screen and squint and concentrate really hard, the holes and pattern on the left picture look just like Ade.

Steve T

Hello Steve,
    I'll post next test results if I can bring myself to sacrifice a spare Brodie, but to keep things in context I should really bury that for 15 years as well? There's always a snag with research.
    Incidentally, the enamel mug is British so how come we have a holy relic Russian image, the shroud of Bisley perhaps?
    Keep the digging info coming, always interesting.
    Cheers,
    Guy.

?

try covering it with yogurth and let it rest for a while in a bowl with some dirt. You will be amazed how bacteria will make it look older.

Quote by Steve T View Post
    Interesting results

Very useful reference pictures.

Actually, if you get really close to the screen and squint and concentrate really hard, the holes and pattern on the left picture look just like Ade.

Steve T

Hello Zeller,
    I will try that to see what happens. Please don't think I'm starting forgeries but it may show another thing to look out for when buying?
    It did provide an amusing conversation this morning with my next-of-kin who is a retired nurse........
    Myself; "Can you get me some plain yoghurt from the supermarket",
    Wife; "Why, you dont like yoghurt ?",
    Self; "I'm going to paint this rusty mug with it and put it in a box of dirt",
    Wife; "Look dear, now you are you are nearly sixty, don't you think you
    should have a word with the doctor ?"
    A cheery start to a Monday morning!
    navyman.

?

Hi navyman
    that's exactly why i suggested that. I am pretty sure that fakers use also acids to artificially age items, but I never investigated that. Also, they use to freeze things in order to give the items credible cracks.

Yogurt........

.....made me laugh

Be interested to see the results though

Steve T

Hello Zeller,
    Looks like my schoolboy chemistry lessons may come in useful after all these years. I'm really intrigued now, particularly as I have discovered a lot of fakes in my collection which came from a source which I trusted and now of course no longer use.
    Cheers,
    navyman.

?

hello navyman, i had a couple of items which looked naturally aged, but after few weeks i noticed they started sweating and the patina was disappearing. i cannot explain it, but it has something to do with some acid.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast