Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Explorers find dozens of WWI U-Boats off United Kingdom coast

Article about: rather odd they are all in the same area ,,i wonder if they were sunk/scuttled there after the armestice ,in the same way that we sunk a lot of ww2 u boats that surendered at the end of the

Default Re: Explorers find dozens of WWI U-Boats off United Kingdom coast

The article in 'Der Spiegel' states:

"The treatment of the crews' remains is also complicated. By law, the sites are considered inviolable gravesites. Nevertheless, the archeologists don't want to miss the opportunity to try to recover other signs of the erstwhile sailors in the underwater crypts. "Perhaps we'll find a cup or a sign with a name on it," Dunkley says."

The 'Fox News' article says:

"Dunkley, who is employed by English Heritage, a public agency bureau within England’s larger Department for Culture, Media and Sport, says action is urgently needed to preserve the remarkable, historic find.

He says he – and his team – plan to utilize robots to pierce the de facto underwater coffins to reap whatever artifacts are inside. "Perhaps we'll find a cup or a sign with a name on it," Dunkley told Der Spiegel."

So what's the score here? Professional archaeologist employed by English Heritage, an executive non departmental public body of the British Government sponsored by the Department for media, culture and sports, or a grave robber illegally intending to disturbing the last resting place of countless submariners?

This article, and the link within it to Der 'Spiegel' is confusing and misleading. What really is the position in law here as regards war graves, and where exactly does the British Government and the law of the land stand on this? It makes no sense to me. A case of yet more $hit reporting?

Confused, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Very interesting indeed

Regards, Lars

Great story.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

Agree about the reporting Ned, but still an incredible find none the less.
    Regards,
    John

?

"He says he – and his team – plan to utilize robots to pierce the de facto underwater coffins to reap whatever artifacts are inside".

I also found this sentence a bit disturbing to say the least. Sounds a bit like grave robbing to me.

Regards, Lars

Quote by relicz View Post
    Agree about the reporting Ned, but still an incredible find none the less.
    It certainly is a remarkable find, but I would imagine that many, if not nearly all of these wrecks are already logged by the Admiralty as at the depth they are at, they will have caused major problems for years to trawlers, fishermen and cable layers. I cannot imagine over 40 wrecked submarines being suddenly 'discovered' by this man and his team of fellow archaeologists, it bollocks. The whole article smells 'fishy' to me... But if the quote is correct that he intends to 'pierce', i.e., violate a war grave, in search of artifacts, then that is extremely worrying and most likely illegal. So why has this been stated? Somethings wrong here.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

It should be interesting to follow the evolution of this.........as long as it doesn't turn into the "Burma Spitfire Hunt".
    Regards,
    John

Sounds very odd IMHO and as a professional archaeologist I have some understanding of the legal complications where human remains are involved and I expect that much of the confusion is the result of poorly researched and sensationalized journalism. Be interesting to see where this story goes.
    With regards to Mark Dunkley:

Mark Dunkley
    Maritime Designation Adviser, Programmes and Maritime Designation Team at English Heritage
    London, United KingdomGovernment Administration
    Current
    English Heritage, National Historic Ships
    Previous
    English Heritage, Wessex Archaeology, The Mary Rose Trust
    Education
    University of Portsmouth
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

And ALL of the submarines found are from WWI?? Not a single WWII? Hmm..something sounds a wee bit "off" here..
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast