Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Falaise Gap Area

Article about: Can anyone tell me what happened to all the equipment and people that were supposedly buried in long pits along the roads of the Falaise area after the battle? thanks Scott

?

Default Falaise Gap Area

Can anyone tell me what happened to all the equipment and people that were supposedly buried in long pits along the roads of the Falaise area after the battle?
    thanks
    Scott

Default Re: Falaise Gap Area

First I've heard of it, would be very interesting info.

Most of the equipment, dead horses, vehicle parts, uxo, body parts etc... will still be there in very deep pits and shell holes. Digging in the are of the Falaise Pocket is forbidden and results in a big fine if you're lucky, confiscation of detector and other nasty things. I never bothered to search there, it's just not worth it.

But to answer your question, most of what was purposely buried will still be there.

Steve

?

Steve, thanks for the info. Why would the Govt's not allow the Germans to reclaim their dead after the signing of the surrender. From all of my readings it was common knowledge this was a huge graveyard. I understand that there is the possibility of buried ordnance, but this is always a risk. Is there no development in this area of Normandy? I just picture their being all types of Tanks, Trucks and other equipment that you see in the pictures being down their.
    Scott

?

Bodies are still found every year in the Falaise gap area as are other bits of kit , mass excavation to recover bodies or vehicles parts and equipment has not realy taken place and possibly never will. Many of the tanks etc were scrapped years ago , some of the richest families in Normandy are post war scrap families !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

It took 20 years to clean up the area ,all the large piece like tanks vehicules and other were brought to the Village Of Trun.A area call the tank cemetery I remenber going there as a kid just incredible but about 7 years ago it was sold to a German Museum ,the tank cemetery was just full of stuff and it was a good size.They recovere about 8 bodies a year.