Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A few finds from the Airfield

Article about: Hey guys, Yesterday afternoon i got out for a few hours. I started off at the bomb dump, These must be bomb related, Not sure what a grenade plug was doing here. but it's never been used as

Default A few finds from the Airfield

Hey guys,

Yesterday afternoon i got out for a few hours.

I started off at the bomb dump,

These must be bomb related,

Not sure what a grenade plug was doing here. but it's never been used as it fits perfectly into my practice Grande

As the rain started to get really intense to the stage my waterproof gloves started filling up with water i headed into woods

I found this toothbrush lying on the surface(maybe Steve or Dave dropped it), but i'm not sure if it's wartime or not, Maybe someone can help?
    Attachment 282465
    Attachment 282463

I also found this big bit of arro skin lying on the surface nicely marked, any one want to decode it?
    Attachment 282460

A silver plated spoon, i am unsure of this is it some sort of battery?
    Attachment 282462
    Attachment 282468

Now onto find of the day just as i was about to head back, i was randomly detecting and i saw an indentation in the ground ran the detector over and bam i had found a small dump, sadly most of it seemed to be frying pans, broken bottles and other food related stuff but it was worth digging it out just for the waterbottle

I knew what it was straight away when i saw the blue enamel
    Attachment 282466
    Attachment 282464
    Attachment 282461
    Attachment 282459

Just need to give it a few coats of Matt varnish and it will be ready for display

Cheers for looking and have a good Christmas

John

Default Re: A few finds from the Airfield

The toothbrush isn't mine. However, judging by the state of the bristles it could well be Dave's.

The toothbrush looks vintage, especially given the 'font' of the Wisdom. Next time find a dated one though eh ?

The aircraft skin looks great but I can't quite make out the numbers. Can you translate please

And as for the water bottle.....jammy git springs to mind

GTG........it's Christmas so should be with the family not on the computer !

Laters

Steve T

PS I found an unused grenade base nut and fuse column on my base as well. They must have dismantled it for some reason like on mine

I've tried me best

I can't search the lists for you WH, but here are links for you to have a look yourself

USAAS-USAAC-USAAF-USAF Aircraft Serial Numbers--1908 to Present

And the RAF codes....

UK Serials

and.....

British Serial Numbers from 1912 to the Present by Steve Murray

However, the number shown is probably a part number so you may not find it. One of the RAF experts will know what it means though, for sure

HAPPY CHRISTMAS !!!!!

Steve T

Hi WH,
    Wow Mate excellent results, love the water bottle and the alloy's interesting, it'll be good to see if it ties in with those models well known for operating from this airfield. Im wondering if the first items shown are perhaps large cable ties from aircraft. Im sure Ive found similar in the past.
    With results like this Im hoping you'll be going back soon.
    Have a Good'un.
    LS

Cheers guys

I located them behind the blast wall. they are wafer thin, i think of them being on something like a 28 with a data tag attached ?
    Attachment 282705

Have a great Christmas guys

John

Water bottle is fully protected now, 3 coats of matt
    Attachment 283188
    Attachment 283190

I'm still puzzled on this item

Attachment 283189

Cheers,

The piece at the bottom of the picture, the one with a hole in the middle and a slot in the end is for attaching electrical wiring. You nail the piece to a wall etc. through the hole in the middle and then you wrap the rounded end over the wire and put it through the slot and bend it over to retain the wire.John.

Hey all,

I've been back today for a couple of hours mooching.

I found this item in the swampy area, It's in amazing condition because it was covered in oil. But what is it? it's must be aircraft related does anybody recognise the marking
    Attachment 283803
    Attachment 283804
    Attachment 283806
    Attachment 283807

I've got a few more bits and bobs to share but i havn't cleaned them yet, Wont be doing any searching tomorrow as i've got an ALL day drinking event

John
    Last edited by Whitehunter; 12-27-2011 at 08:42 PM.

Interesting finds. Makes me feel like grabbing my detector and heading off to my local airfield this afternoon. Heck......I'll do it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast