Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Few finds from the airfield

Article about: Finds cleaned Sadly this piece of aero skin had no markings so it went in the scap bucket Part of a Camera, Could anybody give me a date to it? Parachute harness buckles. got to be the best

Default Few finds from the airfield

Hi Guys,

Last night aftework i spent a few hours detecting the airfield

I'm sure Steve will tell me off for doing this Straight through a 50.cal

Does anybody know what the top left items are? all in the same hole. Also Coffman cartridges, fuse part and 2 halfpennys dated 1918 and 1958 both in the same hole

Don't have a clue? It screws into something

Piece of aero skin marked 3AW

and finaly two surface finds, halfpenny next to items for size

Cheers for looking

John

Default Re: Few finds from the airfield

pictures 3 and 4 look light a part of a dashboard light and the long item in the final picture could be a motorcycle side stand
    Nigel

It's difficult to tell from the picture, but the thing that 'screws into something' looks like the top securing nut off a bomb pistol. Maybe.

Oh....and your punishment for chopping a 50cal up like that is 100 push-ups. GO !

Steve T

I think Nigel is right about it being a dashboard light hopefully from an aircraft as it came from one of the bays

The motorcycle side stand is the rear frame section from a light motorcycle, the rear fork section is where the wheel axle slides in and has a slot rather than a hole for chain adjustment. There will be a hole above the slot (Looks like there is a stud broken in it) for another part of the frame to fix to it, the hole below the slot is where ones side of the rear stand fits, and the stud hanging down from the tube, about 4" to the left of the slot is where the rear stand spring fits.

dont blame you for haveing a rumage around. addictive isnt it!!
    I got some wartime airfield plans through from RAF museum Hendon today,hopefully they'll come in handy wondered if you use any plans to id areas too? enviable finds too as ever,thanks for showing
    Simon
    Last edited by cornishboy; 08-10-2011 at 07:56 AM.

Good job there mate some interesting pieces of history, Well done.
    LS

Quote by cornishboy View Post
    dont blame you for haveing a rumage around. addictive isnt it!!
    I got some wartime airfield plans through from RAF museum Hendon today,hopefully they'll come in handy wondered if you use any plans to id areas too? enviable finds too as ever,thanks for showing
    Simon
    Hi Simon, I've used quite a few maps with this airfield. Steve managed to find a nice one for me, i also use google earth on my Iphone to pinpoint areas, using both i manged to track down a firing range on the airfield and other intresting areas

John

Quote by m3bobby View Post
    The motorcycle side stand is the rear frame section from a light motorcycle, the rear fork section is where the wheel axle slides in and has a slot rather than a hole for chain adjustment. There will be a hole above the slot (Looks like there is a stud broken in it) for another part of the frame to fix to it, the hole below the slot is where ones side of the rear stand fits, and the stud hanging down from the tube, about 4" to the left of the slot is where the rear stand spring fits.
    I see where you are coming from now and have to agree ,are you thinking james ml 125 ,re flying flea type of thing?

Would this be a wartime bike?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast