Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

a few relics from Ranville, Normandie

Article about: just a few airborne relics from over the years ive been visiting Normandie all from the Ranville area where the 6th airborne div landed parachute cord and a piece of canopy (ive prob got eno

Default a few relics from Ranville, Normandie

just a few airborne relics from over the years ive been visiting Normandie all from the Ranville area where the 6th airborne div landed

parachute cord and a piece of canopy (ive prob got enough cord to rig a whole parachute from the bits ive picked up over the years)

the handle was a mistery for years. ive found many usally a pile at a time. i belived them to be off ammo crates untill i got to see the orrigional section of horsa glider at the airborne museam they are lashing handles that are bolted under the seats to tie down equipment , and the areas in the fields where i found them tie in with the positions of gliders on photos from d day

the shrapnal was found in the british perimiter so i assume it came from the germans, not too sure on the fuse as it looks similar to one on a 25lb british shell i own but again it was found in british lines. does anyone know if the morter shell is german, again found in the same area within the british perimiter

Default Re: a few relics from Ranville, Normandie

para cord and pieces of horsa
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture a few relics from Ranville, Normandie   a few relics from Ranville, Normandie  

shrapnal
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture a few relics from Ranville, Normandie   a few relics from Ranville, Normandie  

a few relics from Ranville, Normandie   a few relics from Ranville, Normandie  

Fuse is a British/allied No119 ,,and the mortar fragment also looks to be a British/allied 3inch mortar,ill see if i can find a pic of blown ones from work to compare

Ok found a pic of a 4.2 phosphoros mortar round ,just a bit bigger than the 3inch but the same shape etc,as you can see very similar to yours in the way its exploded bending back on itself
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture a few relics from Ranville, Normandie  

hi thanks for the reply it would be about the size of a british 3 inch morter round it was just that it was found within 30 ft of a line of british slit trenches within the airborne perimiter so i assumed it would be a german round but then again it could easily have been thrown there by a farmer who had plowed it up

Nice finds, there's still a lot out there to be found!

around Ranville there is still a fair bit but its mostly cartridge cases and para cord now.... all the big stuff is long gone

Many years ago friends of mine were up on the watertower ridge near a horse riding stables and found the lid of an ammo. box. On lifthing it up they found 6 sten mags fully loaded and in very good nick. Have you looked around up there. John.