Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

A Few small finds today at WW2 camp site

Article about: had another quick visit to one of the dump/demolition pits. No detector again, just digging around with a trowel. The area is completely jammed with broken crockery, remains of what were qui

Default Re: A Few small finds today at WW2 camp site

Harry,
    Thats excellent work recording all your finds with GPS, what a great record for you and possibly historians in the future. Sounds like you still have a lot of work ahead of you sorting out the rubble from the footings. Somewhere there'll probably be a site plan produced at the time, but not sure where it'd surface perhaps IWM or Canadian Armed Services?. But with your systematic searching and recording of finds you'll probably get as good an idea of area uses as a map.
    Its always worth seeing if you can track down the site of the former camp sewage works, a good bet for site refuse.
    Sadly a wet weekend ahead, but have a good one if you venture out.
    Cheers
    LS

A first visit for a while to the site. Only had a short time and so limited fairly unexciting finds on this occasion.

More of the ever present drill/inspection rounds, 4 buttons - 1 General Service and 3 Canada, a dog tag which is completely knackered as has almost completely oxidised , a couple of buckles, what looks like a penknife of some description and few of "things" on the bottom row...the round "thing" has an internal thread and as is marked 50EC ??

A Few small finds today at  WW2 camp siteA Few small finds today at  WW2 camp site

Hi Harry211,
    The dog tag looks interesting, gust hope there is some info left on it!
    the prefix 50E is for Fraser Nash spares and tooling.
    Hangarman

Hi Harry211,
    The slotted thing below the dog tag looks like its off a pair of braces, the strap for the braces goes through the slot and a piece of round elastic goes through the C shaped bit to fit over the buttons on the trousers. I have a Canadian pair that are very similar.
    Hangarman

and the toothed bit looks like the head off a razor

rather miraculously, the section of the dogtag that has survived shows the guys regimental number - 1075305

using the link kindly provided before by satanscabanaboy I have identified it as belonging to LOCHEN, CHRISTIAN who joined up on 10th July 1916 at the age of 28 and if I have read it correctly was a sapper 4th Overseas Pioneer Battalion CEF - need to do some more reasearch to see if he made it home or not...

Associated Image(s) - Soldiers of the First World War - CEF - Library and Archives Canada

A Few small finds today at  WW2 camp site

at last something different from my site and to say I am pleased is an understatement

What we have here is a WW1 no 23 MkII Mills "Gibsons Patent" drill/practice grenade - completely inert and appears to be lead filled. some before and after initial cleaning, and with a bit more work should be a corker

A Few small finds today at  WW2 camp siteA Few small finds today at  WW2 camp siteA Few small finds today at  WW2 camp site

another cracking find, about 3 feet from where I got the Mills - this time a WW1 No 35 rifle grenade - totally inert so used for training. Amazing condition and even partially disassembles. Nicely dated 1917 :-) :-)

A Few small finds today at  WW2 camp siteA Few small finds today at  WW2 camp siteA Few small finds today at  WW2 camp site

?

awesome once again matt!!!!!!

?

Oh WOW that is a nice find especially in strippable condition and a rare beast to boot well played sir

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast