MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

figure out unknow items

Article about: hello I found these things in a 19th century battlefield. I would need some help to find out what they are!

?

Default figure out unknow items

hello I found these things in a 19th century battlefield. I would need some help to find out what they are!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture figure out unknow items   figure out unknow items  

figure out unknow items   figure out unknow items  

Interesting pieces but some indication of scale and material might help. Plus some info about the location and circumstances too.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

they are found on a field when we put potatoes at a relative in Finland! also found some musket balls on the same field som years ago, i think they are from the Finnish war 1808-1809 the tube think is bronze , I think they can be a cork for a gunpower horn. The u-shaped think is iron and
    I think it's for something with wood. perhaps to hold wood together like a tree barrier
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture figure out unknow items  

?

Hare are some more finds from the field
    I like the bronze ring and the lead buttons
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture figure out unknow items   figure out unknow items  

figure out unknow items  

Sorry, I didn't see your second post but the explanation and further pictures do make thing much clearer.
    I think you are correct that the metal tube is the cap for a powder flask though I would expect it to be brass (alloy of copper and zinc) rather than bronze (copper and tin) as that was the more common material because it has more suitable properties.

I also believe you are correct that the large "U" shape is some kind of staple but it was probably more likey to be used to reinforce a joint in something constructed from wood by a carpenter such as cases or equipment rather than something as crude as a barricade but that is just my opinion.

The bent 'T' shaped piece looks like some kind of securing pin but other than that I couldn't say.

The blade in the display case is IMO a table knife and would most likely have had a bone handle though I feel it is probably later than the other items.

As I say this is all opinion really and if I were you I think I would be off on a trip to local museums.

Let us know what you find out.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."