Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

finds whilst ploughing

Article about: by gibba1008 inside diameter 4 3/4 inches or 120 cm That would match the Fin Lock Nut M2 which has a thread diameter of 4.7 inches. The thread pitch is 12NS-1, NS later being renamed UNS I b

?

Default Re: finds whilst ploughing

Quote by gibba1008 View Post
    inside diameter 4 3/4 inches or 120 cm
    That would match the Fin Lock Nut M2 which has a thread diameter of 4.7 inches.
    The thread pitch is 12NS-1, NS later being renamed UNS I believe.

The M2 Lock Nut was only used with two types of Fin Assembly:
    Fin Assembly, 500lb Size, AN-M109 and AN-M123 series, which fit the Bomb, GP, 500lb AN-M64 series.
    Fin Assembly, 1000lb Size, AN-M113 series, which fits the Bomb, GP, 1000lb, AN-M65 series.

From the relative diameter of the overall base plug, I'll lean toward it being from a 500lb bomb casing.

Hope that helps,
    PB

Many thanks PB for the identification of this piece, its always nice to know what we have in our collections.....

regards

You are luck to be alive... very lucky indeed. The KwK43 small-base fuze did not have inertial blocks on the firing pin as did the Tiger AP round. I came pre-armed from the factory and depended on inertia to slide a thin steel collett retainer ring back to let loose 3 small ball bearings which were all that held the firing pin fron striking the detonator. On the old shells these sleeve collett sleeves have corroded and in many cases will only need a slight touch to loose the firing pin and detonate the warhead. These are well known as THE most dangerous UXOs around and are all blown-in-place when found.

The charge in the warheads is of course large enough to fragment the AP casing which is of course why the explosive was there in the first place. This is why the Kwk43 projectiles are so difficult to find....

You were luck to have survived just moving the thing

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123