Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

From Finnish Lappland

Article about: Found these from Lapland in 1993. Lots of another stuff too. Artillery shells, handgranades, anything that army would need. Germans blow up all their depos when they were retreating to Norwa

?

Default From Finnish Lappland

Found these from Lapland in 1993. Lots of another stuff too. Artillery shells, handgranades, anything that army would need. Germans blow up all their depos when they were retreating to Norway. I don't know if it blew up during fighting or did Germans blew it up themselves. It was, and still is a military area, so we were trespassing and weren't there a long time. There were five of us and everyone grab some little memento and then we left quite quicly.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture From Finnish Lappland   From Finnish Lappland  

From Finnish Lappland   From Finnish Lappland  

Default Re: From Finnish Lappland

Nice memento !

Steve T

Jan
    ?

This might actually classify as art of some sort Great!

Rgds Jan

Is this stuff from an aircraft wreck site ? These things appear to be embedded in melted aluminum.....

I notice the rounds were in clips so my guess is they stacked boxes of the stuff and burnt it rather than blow it. I wouldn't have thought the boxes were aluminium due to the fact that Aluminum on both sides was pretty much reserved for A/C use only. The only other possibility is that the fire was so intence that the steel cases melted.

Any fire hot enough to melt steel boxes would have most certainly melted the brass cartridge cases and bullet jackets also. I think the site deserves another look for evidence of aircraft parts.

Thats a very good point well presented. Didn't think of that! Suppose it could have been a transport A/C carrying ammo.

Unhappy Re: From Finnish Lappland

Nice memento. I saw something very similar in 1976 when one of our 90mm Eland (modified Panhard) armoured cars was in a collision with another vehicle which had a drum of fuel on the back. The Eland was swamped with fuel which caught fire and fried - 3 man crew, 90mm and 7.62 Browning ammo et-al. When cooled the floor of the car was a solid mess of aluminium with pieces of bone/teeth, fragments, cases, links, etc. imbedded. I guess, typical of any armoured vehicle that 'brews up'
    So this item could basically be from be from any sort of fire but the 'puddle' shapes suggest a more 'open' fire - any sand imbedded on the undersides?
    Last edited by Peter Wells; 09-05-2010 at 02:57 PM.