Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Forest Finds in NE France 2009

Article about: As per my recent posts, please find below some of the items i saw in French forests last week. I have no metal detector and don`t dig, this is all just seen on the floor of the forest......i

Default Forest Finds in NE France 2009

As per my recent posts, please find below some of the items i saw in French forests last week. I have no metal detector and don`t dig, this is all just seen on the floor of the forest......its still there if you look hard enough.........
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Forest Finds in NE France 2009   Forest Finds in NE France 2009  

Forest Finds in NE France 2009   Forest Finds in NE France 2009  

Forest Finds in NE France 2009   Forest Finds in NE France 2009  

?

Default Re: Forest Finds in NE France 2009

Yes the iron harvest is still there after 90 years , is this the Somme ?
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

All of these items were found west of Verdun towards Argonne forests, here are a few more......
    German wine bottle and remnants of a spirits container.
    Relic French water bottle.
    F1 Grenade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Forest Finds in NE France 2009   Forest Finds in NE France 2009  

Forest Finds in NE France 2009  

Cheers Phil, I only ever photograph ordnance, not worth losing a limb over ! I didn`t find any helmets ( but I will one day !! ) but I couldn`t resist this one in the Verdun shop window.....Plus a few other purchases, all cleaned out and legal of course.

Hey Paul, nice find!

I'm with Phil stay away from rotting ordnance. It's still heard today of old ordnance here in america killing or blowing limbs off of people from old U.S. Civil War relics blowing apart and that was 145 years ago!

regards, Tyrone

Too right Tyrone, I only ever take a photo, don`t ever touch it. I have heard of civil war ordnance claiming lives, its amazing how unstable this stuff becomes over the years. I have heard that a few lives each year are still claimed in France and Belgium by people trying to remove fuses or driving bands, surely its not worth it ! Take a pic and leave it alone !
    Thanks for the comments guys, all the best.

?

Looking at "Forestwalker's" picture of the 2 grenades (one rifle and a F1) please can someone tell me any information about the rifle grenade (sorry to add this in your post!).

No probs Jimbo ! Info below courtesy of : "Source : www.passioncompassion1418.com"

The model 1913 rifle grenade
    is the first of a series of grenades developed by German intended to be lauched using the simple Mauser infantry rifled armed with a blank ammunition, after inserting the long steel rod into the gun.

The steel body, with an external squaring, was filled with explosive and crossed by an axial tube that linked the screwable detonator casing on the top of the projectile with the base plate. This piece was carrying the inertia block mechanism that was armed by the initial shock of the departure.

The principal problem of the model 1913 was its too good aerodynamic properties, making of it too good an effective projectile, sinking too deeply into the ground before explosion. An amelioration was given by adding an optionnal 90 mm diameter disc to the grenade, screwed on the head to decrease the range.
    Weight 900 gr., 80 g ammonium nitrate.

All the best
    FW

DivisionAzul
    ?

Yes, decaying ordnance is still a hazard, even after 100 years.

U.S. News Virginia Man Killed in Civil War Cannonball Blast
    FOXNews.com - Virginia Man Killed In Civil War Cannonball Blast - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

Quote by Forestwalker View Post
    Take a pic and leave it alone!

Hello,
    My advice would be take a pic and go to the gendarmerie to let them know in order to avoid an idiot or a child to die while playing with it...

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast