Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Found in a forest - Any ideas what it is ?

Article about: Great place! You could spend a week at the battlefield and still not see everything. Some of the worst ground Ive ever seen. The city was also nice. Lee

Default Found in a forest - Any ideas what it is ?

Afternoon all

I saw the attached item lying on the ground around the area of a former WW1 German Staff Headquaters west of Verdun and was wondering if anyone knew what it could be ? I didn`t bring it home because I was unsure what it was. It wasn`t dug, just seen on the forset floor. It was only about 4" wide and about 6" tall. I have included a top and bottom view.
    Look forward to hearing from you all, thanks in advance.
    All the best
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Found in a forest - Any ideas what it is ?   Found in a forest - Any ideas what it is ?  

Default Re: Found in a forest - Any ideas what it is ?

Could it be a container of the gask mask that you srew on to it ?

Great call Eraser, I hadn`t thought of that, it could be. The grey stuff at the top of the second picture was all loose like granules of something so maybe it is a filter attachment of some kind. It also was about 4" tall, not six as previously stated.
    Thanks for the suggestion.

?

Reminds me of the few times I visited Verdun in the 80,s found lots of items above ground i.e. potatoe mashers etc but as soon as you touched them they turned to dust so to say. Naturally the large Art. shells were still in tacted but to heavy and dangerous to handle - I did notice that there were a few brave or should I say careless souls removing the timers from these large shells. I did hear that a number of these folks came back missing a finger,hand or worse.

Horst
    "He who hesitates is lost - is not only lost but miles from the next exit"

I know where you`re coming from Horst, also apparently the copper from found artillery shells` driving bands are often chiselled off via hammer and chisel for the scrap value ! On 90 year old shells ! Kills a few each year so I`m told. I certainly wouldn`t !!

appie
    ?

French wwI gasmask filter.

Horst.

That those guys lost there body parts after they handled life ammo, is worse, but remember, they started handling the ammo with missing the most important part already of their body, their brains!

Thanks Appie, much appreciated. I`m off back to Verdun in a couple of weeks, I`ll see if its still there ! ( Unlikely I know ). Funny thing was I`d walked to a bunker earlier that day and missed it completely then went back later and saw it. Is amazing to think that by walking a slightly different route what you may have missed ( or found ).
    Thanks again

appie
    ?

Quote by Forestwalker View Post
    Thanks Appie, much appreciated. I`m off back to Verdun in a couple of weeks, I`ll see if its still there ! ( Unlikely I know ). Funny thing was I`d walked to a bunker earlier that day and missed it completely then went back later and saw it. Is amazing to think that by walking a slightly different route what you may have missed ( or found ).
    Thanks again
    There many things to be found near Verdun. I have some friends there, they go into the caves that the soldiers used as shelter. Everything is still the same down there as it was during the great war. They found some really nice stuff down the caves, helmets, rifles but it is dangerous to go down.
    Next week the weather will be bad up north again. Maybe I'll go this spring to Verdun. When you go, try a walk in the woods a little south-west of Verdun it self (Le Roi du Bois).

I think I'm going to have to take a trip to Verdun!!! (I too think gas mask filter).

Cheers!

Rob

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast