Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Genuine and Unique?

Article about: I had a feeling it was fake as it all seemed to fit to well and I knew that disc was false, the disc is also the cheapest repro type too. It's sickening to think he's doing this with a real

Default Genuine and Unique?

If this is genuine it's quite special

WW1 British RIFLE BUTT & Fittings MARKER Personalised France,JULY 1916.Original. | eBay

From CWGC

Service No:17298
    Date of Death:03/07/1916
    Regiment/Service:
    North Staffordshire Regiment 8th Bn.
    Panel Reference
    Pier and Face 14 B and 14 C.Memorial
    THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

This guy is renowned for embellishing genuine items to make them worth more than they are. Its a great shame because he does come up with some interesting stuff but then spoils it by adding a date or a regiment or a stamp of some sort. The stamping on the butt disk looks questionable. Check out his socks?? and kit bag lock with oil bottle. All possibly of the correct period but ruined with additional date stamps....... When did you last see a dated oil bottle......anyone?
    The tin box of Bryant and may matches looks dead right but the cardboard inner and the match container just don't look right, cant quite put my finger on it but its enough to put many people off bidding on his stuff. Check out some of the other forums.
    Just my tuppence worth.
    Cheers

I thought so, the normal butt disc dosnt have a curvy broad arrow and it's normally on the back. The ebay reproduce ones have that type. Also like you say the format of the disc is also incorrect. I wonder if the whole thing is a fake or just a bit of it?

Never seen a dated oil bottle and, I must say the butt disc looks very odd.

Quote by m3bobby View Post
    I thought so, the normal butt disc dosnt have a curvy broad arrow and it's normally on the back. The ebay reproduce ones have that type. Also like you say the format of the disc is also incorrect. I wonder if the whole thing is a fake or just a bit of it?
    That's the problem! The butt is obviously genuine, its the additional markings that are spurious....and whether it was cut off yesterday or 98 years ago.... strangely enough he is also selling an almost complete set of woodwork for a SMLE that looks a good match for the butt.....just saying.......

I would agree with my forum friend Hangerman. This seller is well known for this.....
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Indeed, and with the 100 year anniversary looming, how many people will be fooled by this type of thing, sad

skunk.

Looks like old Nige is at it again. Remember this one from this time last year? It fooled quite a few people here then.

Carved British SMLE Stock
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    Looks like old Nige is at it again. Remember this one from this time last year? It fooled quite a few people here then.

Carved British SMLE Stock
    Indeed Ned, I was fooled on the last one having not seen these faked before. The seller is well known for the enhancing of his items and I would avoid this like the plague.

As someone else mentioned, he does have some good items, but seems unable to not embellish many of them with spurious markings and or history.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast