Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

German barbed wire ?

Article about: Hi there I found many pieces of this barbed wire in place on top of small hill with remains of trenches around the top. I also dug here one big and long piece of concrete with casted in that

Default German barbed wire ?

Hi there

I found many pieces of this barbed wire in place on top of small hill with remains of
    trenches around the top. I also dug here one big and long piece of concrete with casted in that barbed wire with long prats of wire sticking out. I have no idea what it was for.

Is it german barbed wire ? It has square shaped 3mm +- thick wire and distance between the spikes is from 30 to 40 milimeters

German barbed wire ?German barbed wire ?German barbed wire ?

?

No idea whether or not this is German or not. Nice find if it is.

I found barbed wire embedded in trees in Narva. Some of it quite high up, as the trees grew over the years. A Poignant find IMO.

Generally speaking, barb wire for agricultural use is different from that used for military/security purposes in that the barbs are spaced further apart. The spacing of the barbs here being 30-40mm indicate a probable military type as it's hard to get a grip on the wire to cut it, and is more effective for getting things hung up than merely being a livestock proof deterent. Whether or not it's German is anyone's guess, but I would say that it's purpose in and around trenchworks is as a military defensive one.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I did compare it to WWI wire and it does not match for French, Early war German,Late war German or British. I'm guessing it is likely Czech WWII late 1930's. (The German's usually used a twin strand twisted wire, and this is a single strand that you show)
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Many thanks to everybody fo replies

It could be a czechoslovak wire because that trenches are on the line of the fortification that was build before ww2 against hungarians / germans and destroyed
    during hungarian ocupation of southern slovakia during ww2. There is one preserved bunker nearby.
    But I cant confirm if that trenhces were build during 1938 mobilisaition or during the war by Germans, Hungarians, Romanians, Soviets or slovak partizans because they were
    all fighting there. Its hard to dig directly in the trenches because there is very tough clay soil. but friend of mine told me that he found there empty case from 7,92 mauser

I was thinking that it could be a german wire because when I was searching on the internet I fund the same wire described as Geman.

Here is a little map of that trenches.

German barbed wire ?