Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

German Bomber found in Somerset garden.

Article about: Just in case you guys are interested, I just saw this story on the local BBC news. You might be able to pick up the news summary on iplayer and view the news footage of the excavation but if

?

Default German Bomber found in Somerset garden.

Just in case you guys are interested, I just saw this story on the local BBC news. You might be able to pick up the news summary on iplayer and view the news footage of the excavation but if not here's a link to the story......
    Heinkel bomber parts found in Puriton garden.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Default Re: German Bomber found in Somerset garden.

Splendid story Adrian, thanks for the link. I love first hand accounts by eyewitnesses.

Jay

?

Quite a historic site, being one of three Heinkels brought down by Bob Stanford Tuck's squadron at the height of the Battle of Britain. It was on it's way to bomb Cardiff, where I'm writing this now. Very satisfying to have brought a few fragments back. The eyewitness stories really brought it home.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German Bomber found in Somerset garden.   German Bomber found in Somerset garden.  

German Bomber found in Somerset garden.   German Bomber found in Somerset garden.  

Well done, I love the MErcedes star !

?

Thanks, it was a very nice piece. Hoped to find the one from the second engine but unfortunately there was no sign. TV link here:
    BBC iPlayer - BBC Points West: 26/07/2011
    About 17 mins in, after the pigeons!

?

You were involved in the dig Ian? Well done for finding the items you did, any idea what the last piece in your pics is?

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

I only helped out on the second day, but it was a memorable experience. Most of the aircraft had unfortunately been burned to crisp and recovered at the time. It's made even more interesting in that a local researcher,Hugh Trivett, interviewed the surviving German crew back in the eighties and has published the full story in his book "Achtung Spitfire". The last fragment is part of a prop spinner with just a trace of yellow paint.