MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

German war relics

Article about: Hi Can anyone help, any assistance most appreciated I am new to this forum only joined yesterday I am based in UK and have a total fascination for WW2 (mainly German) history I am so keen to

Default German war relics

Hi
    Can anyone help, any assistance most appreciated
    I am new to this forum only joined yesterday
    I am based in UK and have a total fascination for WW2 (mainly German) history
    I am so keen to get involved in active digging of old battlefield sites but need some advice how to 'get involved'. Are there any groups in UK or anywhere for that matter who would be glad to accept a 'newbie' on a dig or tour etc??
    Any replies greatly appreciated
    Thanks
    Phil

Default Re: German war relics

Ask Steve T, he's one of the moderators.
    He has excavated his entire collection, literally!!!

Regards

Quote by Ingrid Patrouille View Post

He has excavated his entire collection, literally!!!
    This is true

Hi lowfields and welcome to the forum. As luck or otherwise would have it, I am in the process of setting up a 'WW2 Relic Retrieval and Preservation Group' on this very forum so keep an eye out for a thread inviting people to become members. The main aim of the group is to share information, help each other out, and meet up a couple of times a year on a 'dig'. These digs will be in the UK and Europe.

The first thing you need to do, before any of that, is have a look here;

Laws pertaining to Metal Detecting.

Then, when you've read that bit, go to this thread;

Searching tips

Many of us dig on our own or in small groups, so I think the best thing you can do is get to know us well enough to get an invite to a dig ! You will want to consider buying a metal detector as well so check out the threads in the search technology forum to get tips on which one to go for.

Otherwise it's all about making friends and being helpful.

Oh, and just to whet your appetite, you can find German items in the UK. Below are a couple of pictures of items I've dug up from old POW sites over the past few years

Cheers

Steve T
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German war relics   German war relics  

German war relics   German war relics  

German war relics   German war relics  

German war relics  

[QUOTE=Steve T;285922]This is true

" I am in the process of setting up a 'WW2 Relic Retrieval and Preservation Group' on this very forum so keep an eye out for a thread inviting people to become members. The main aim of the group is to share information, help each other out, and meet up a couple of times a year on a 'dig'. These digs will be in the UK and Europe."

Hey Steve you can count me in

It would be nice and exciting to go to a digging trip but it would be very sad to come back with empty hands. Diggers do not find relics in every attempt. Sometimes it may even take 3-4 months to find something. At least this i was told from a friend in Estonia who goes digging a lot.
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

Quote by Steve T View Post
    This is true

Hi lowfields and welcome to the forum. As luck or otherwise would have it, I am in the process of setting up a 'WW2 Relic Retrieval and Preservation Group' on this very forum so keep an eye out for a thread inviting people to become members. The main aim of the group is to share information, help each other out, and meet up a couple of times a year on a 'dig'. These digs will be in the UK and Europe.

The first thing you need to do, before any of that, is have a look here;

Laws pertaining to Metal Detecting.

Then, when you've read that bit, go to this thread;

Searching tips

Many of us dig on our own or in small groups, so I think the best thing you can do is get to know us well enough to get an invite to a dig ! You will want to consider buying a metal detector as well so check out the threads in the search technology forum to get tips on which one to go for.

Otherwise it's all about making friends and being helpful.

Oh, and just to whet your appetite, you can find German items in the UK. Below are a couple of pictures of items I've dug up from old POW sites over the past few years

Cheers

Steve T
    Thanks Steve

That really is good sound and practical advice
    I will have a look at those links later today.
    Why oh why did I not search for a forum like this years ago !!
    Will be watching for your forthcoming thread re relic retrieval group no way will I be missing that.
    Thanks again
    Phil