Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

German ww2 dornier found

Article about: YouTube - German WWII Dornier to be raised from Goodwin Sands.wmv i saw this video today.Amazing.It is under the sea for so many years and in good condition.The only DORNIER in the world.No

Default German ww2 dornier found

YouTube - German WWII Dornier to be raised from Goodwin Sands.wmv

i saw this video today.Amazing.It is under the sea for so many years and in good condition.The only DORNIER in the world.No one has left after the war.

kc1
    ?

Default Re: German ww2 dornier found

Apparently it was found in 2009, its still no nearer being recovered 2 years on. Bits have been removed by illegal dives on the wreck. I don't know if it is a war grave as such, 2 crew were killed and 2 pow. There is quite some stuff on/in the Goodwin sands at least 1 ww1 u boat and i believe a ww2 one as well. The ww1's hatches are supposed to be closed so whatever was in there when it sank is still there. Its a particularly dangerous area for shipping and diving as the sands are constantly moving about.

so old news???i found it yesterday and believed it is new story.sad to see that it is not recovered yet after 2 years

kc1
    ?

More bumped news hoping someone will pay for the recovery

This IS going to happen. Funding is only part of the problem, with the weight of The Royal Airforce Museum behind it it's more a matter of 'when' not 'if'. The biggest problem is the recovery itself. The Goodwins are the most dangerous and notorious area in Britain for strong tidal currents and changes in tide/sand shifting. Getting the airframe up is going to be a complete nightmare, i'll bet my boots they won't get it up in one piece!

Nevertheless, one day it will be done, and i would imagine maybe this year, although probably next, as time is now of the essence to save this unique piece of war in the air history.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.