Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Google earth coordinates and gps

Article about: by Steve T You definitely won't. I sent davejb round your house earlier to nick it. It's round his house now. If the gate's gone then Merlin is for the sack - gross dereliction of his duty:

Default Google earth coordinates and gps

I recently decide to invest in a new toy and have bought a Garmin etrex 20 handheld GPS. The plan was to use the gps in conjunction with google earth. I have found a few interesting features on GE that I wanted to investigate and hoped I could lift the co-ordinates from GE, plug them into the GPS and hey presto. The accuracy of the GPS would help in getting right on top of features only visible in aeriel photos, especially if they were the WW2 pictures on GE.

Well, that was the plan! Having had a couple of trial outings armed with the Garmin and coordinates from GE I have now discovered significant inaccuracies in the GE coordinates - in one trial on a known spot, GE was about 200 yards adrift, which may as well be 3 miles if you are trying to find a specific feature from 1945 photo in a modern ploughed field. Apparently the error in GE is partly due to problems with the way the photos are stitched together and how the photos taken from oblique angles are overlayed on the earth's contours.

Anyway, if anyone is using a similar technique to identify sites, I would still recommend GE, particularly the time slider, to find interesting features to investigate, however to get reliable coordinates, you need to go elsewhere.

After a few live tests, the most accurate website for coordinates is satsig.net. It's mainly for aligning your satellite dish but provides very good lat/long data using aeriel photos, . The mapping is much less user friendly than GE, but in my experience the coordinates data is pretty much spot on.

So, find the feature on GE, get the coordinates on satsig.net, plug them into the GPS and go for a walk

Lat - Long Finder: This page helps you find Latitude and Longitude

Default Re: Google earth coordinates and gps

Thanks for that Harry,Im still using my compass and map.Well they do say we're 2 years behind the rest of you down here 19/09/2010

I still go with a print off of the location aerial photo and a hopeful smile. I find it very inconsiderate of mother nature when she allows trees to grow and hedges to spread when I am trying to pinpoint a location.

Mind you, davejb still uses a divining rod, (at least that is what he calls it) and a 1908 ordnance survey map.

Nice info harry Thanks for sharing.

Quote by Steve T View Post
    I still go with a print off of the location aerial photo and a hopeful smile. I find it very inconsiderate of mother nature when she allows trees to grow and hedges to spread when I am trying to pinpoint a location.

Mind you, davejb still uses a divining rod, (at least that is what he calls it) and a 1908 ordnance survey map.

Nice info harry Thanks for sharing.
    So he's advanced from the chickens foot, knuckle bones and dried stoat...?? Whoa Dave, technology is a wonderful thing, isn't it??
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I use maps, 1945/1946 images and the Mk1 Eyeball. Hasn't let me down yet!

you're all a bunch of luddites

My skills in map and compass peaked in the Army cadets at school and I used to get lost then so doubt I'd find my own front gate now

Quote by harry211 View Post
    ........so doubt I'd find my own front gate now
    You definitely won't. I sent davejb round your house earlier to nick it. It's round his house now.

?

Its totally useless to me , I have'nt got a front garden, anyone want to buy a gate, swung many times, no squeeks, one owner, offers, no of fence will be taken

?

Ned, i plot by the stars but i must admit i do get somewhat confused when the FED EX flies in and out of Stanstead late at night

?

Very good info you got there

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast