Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

great war relics

Article about: And I'm after a Lee Enfield butt plate from the Somme if anyone can help...but must be from the Somme.

john75
    ?

Default great war relics

I am looking for any dug relics from world war one...preferably from the Somme that were obtained legally. If you have any ideas, please let me know.

?

Default Re: great war relics

Hello John,

I visit the Somme a few times every year and have been about twenty times altogether . I have many many relics i have either found or have bought from freinds on the Somme what sort of relics are you after ?

Regards

Paul

john75
    ?

Hello Paul,

Thanks for the reply...I collect just about anything related to the battle from mess items such as forks/spoons to spent cartridge cases to buttons. Each piece tells a different story. What is sad is the urban sprawl that is threatening these battlefields. I feel we must document and preserve whatever we can before it goes under the bulldozer. For this, I find anything found churned-up under a plow or construction site worthy of preserving and adding to my collection. I am looking for British and Canadian relics in particular. What sort of relics do you have that you may consider parting with? Any pictures? I would be very interested in conversing more on this subject. Thanks Paul.

Cheers,
    John

I'll be posting some of the relics I found on the Yser front later this day...

john75
    ?

Great...I will be looking forward to seeing them!
    John75

?

John,

Haven't got much time at the moment but will come back to this thread over the weekend,

regards

Paul

?

I'll post a nice buckle I got from Latvian diggers, there a lot of stuff in Latvian WW1 battlefields, but this is not a my area. Just the buckle was amazing and cheap
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

?

John,

I have a couple of relic German Helmets from the Somme which i can move on plus a good condition Brodie that i bought out there from one of the local farmers i know.

Most of the other stuff you tend to find are cartridges, shells , mills bombs, occasional badges , buttons etc, the Somme is well visited by Battlefield scavengers.

Most of the good stuff that still turns up every now and again goes to the local dealers, when i first started visiting the Somme it wasn't uncommon for the local farmers to come into the bars with all sorts of relics and Militaria to sell that they had ploughed up or found in old houses / barns etc but now this happens a lot less. Some of the locals even used Helmets as hanging baskets for flowers.

regards

Paul

john75
    ?

Hello Paul,

Thanks for your response and you have described in great detail the sorts of relics that I am currently looking for. I don't currently have a German relic helmet and may be willing to talk further about this. If you have any old relic-condition cartridge cases or anything of that nature that you may want to sell, please let me know. I am just throwing this one out there, but if anyone has a dug 18pr (either cartridge case or shell) please let me know. I look forward to hearing back from you...thanks again Paul!

John

Hi Paul,
    I have some things you may be interested in.
    Regards,
    Ben.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast