Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help indentifying WW1 Somme relic...

Article about: hi, could anyone tell me what this item might be? picked up 20 odd years ago in france... thanks!

Default Help indentifying WW1 Somme relic...

hi, could anyone tell me what this item might be? picked up 20 odd years ago in france... thanks!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help indentifying WW1 Somme relic...   Help indentifying WW1 Somme relic...  

Help indentifying WW1 Somme relic...   Help indentifying WW1 Somme relic...  

?

Default Re: Help indentifying WW1 Somme relic...

Looks like the inner guide bogey wheel to a tank or half track

thanks dave, but i don't think that's likely. the small round indentation on the base is brass, and looks like some kind of firing pin, and there are evenly spaced holes around the side, which you can just make out, if any of that helps...

any ideas, anyone?

It's been suggested that: It is the base of a 4" Stokes (chemical mortar) round. This is the later type and this part contained the propellant charge, gases were vented through the holes. The original design from 1915 had a tubular tail with a cartridge like the 3". Any comments?

Hi specialed ,certainly looks like the lower portion of a chemical stokes,ive attatched a couple of images for you to compare,sorry about the quality but these are only ones i have with measurements on.
    regards allan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help indentifying WW1 Somme relic...   Help indentifying WW1 Somme relic...  

thanks spotter, yes that's exactly right. here's a picture of a cut-away someone sent me...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help indentifying WW1 Somme relic...