Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help with research

Article about: Hi guys, Im quite confident that L.Br stands for Lehr-Regiment Brandenburg which was divided between XXXIX. Armeekorps and LVII. Armeekorps. This also corresponds to Lars' map. Cheers, Mads

?

Default Help with research

Hello guys,

I would appreciate some help in researching an area on the Eastern Front in Russia. It's a very interesting area indeed. I am asking help because i am busy with work and so on. Also i am sure there are people here with the knowledge "in hand" so to speak. At this point in time i only have 1 map of the area and it's not dated. I am interested in the right flank where 3. Panzer Div and the Soviet 69th and 144th have been.

If possible it would be interesting to know who/ what is "L.Br" and "12.P"(12thpanzer of Pionier)? Aslo some info on the Soviet "69th" and "144th" would be interesting.

I return for your help i will hopefully be able to bring back some good items from the area What we can see out there is that there must have been quite some artillery, Soviet soldiers have been taken prisoner, Germans have been using captured Polish ammunition, Czech Lewis machine guns. We also found a spot with a lot of horse shoes 30 or so. The season is closing soon so we have to go out there soon.

Help with research

Regards, Lars

?

12 P is presumably 12th Panzer Divison aS they were part of XXXIX Korps , Panzer Gruppe 3 the L Br could be a Leichte Brigade ?? but i can't find any info on a unit of that designation,

Very interesting map for me also but for the XXXXVII Panzer Korps anf their advance south of Smolensk to the Bryansk Sud Kessel , have you been in that area before ??
    Last edited by Paul D; 09-22-2013 at 07:50 PM.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Hi Lars, the only explaination of this abbreviation i can find is Leiter des bruecken schlages (Head engineer of bridge construction)!...

?

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    Hi Lars, the only explaination of this abbreviation i can find is Leiter des bruecken schlages (Head engineer of bridge construction)!...
    Can't be this as it is clearly a Frontline deployed unit opposite the Soviet 69th Rifle Divison !
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by Paul E View Post
    Can't be this as it is clearly a Frontline deployed unit opposite the Soviet 69th Rifle Divison !
    Indeed so Paul!.....

I can't offer a 100%-positive ID, either, but the fact that the "L." is capitalized leads me to believe that it does not stand for an adjective such as "leichte".

For the meaning of the individual components of the abbreviation, I am only aware of "Brigade" and "Brücken-" for the "Br." part and "Lehr-" and the Roman-numeral "Fiftieth" for the "L" part.

It could refer to the Lehr-Brigade 900; it certainly took part in the 1941 battle of Smolensk.

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    I can't offer a 100%-positive ID, either, but the fact that the "L." is capitalized leads me to believe that it does not stand for an adjective such as "leichte".

For the meaning of the individual components of the abbreviation, I am only aware of "Brigade" and "Brücken-" for the "Br." part and "Lehr-" and the Roman-numeral "Fiftieth" for the "L" part.

It could refer to the Lehr-Brigade 900; it certainly took part in the 1941 battle of Smolensk.
    I've got to agree with this, Lehr-Brigade 900 was involved in the fighting around Smolensk!....

?

12 P is presumably 12th Panzer Divison aS they were part of XXXVIIII Korps , Panzer Gruppe 3 the L Br could be a Leichte Brigade ?? but i can't find any info on a unit of that designation,

Very interesting map for me also but for the XXXXVII Panzer Korps anf their advance south of Smolensk to the Bryansk Sud Kessel , have you been in that area before ??
    Thank you mate

Yes i have been in Bryansk quite a number of times The 2 combat zones reminds a lot about each other and this Smolensk area looks very interesting.

Cheers

?

First of all a big thank you to all of you

@HPL2008. The theory about Lehr-Brigade 900 sounds interesting indeed. Thank you for taking the time

Regards, Lars

?

Will you completely rule out the "Engineers/bridge" idea? After all there are quite a few rivers in the area.

Cheers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast