Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Holy crap ! 2 seconds from being chucked away !

Article about: Hi all During every trip relic hunting, I will find bits of metal that don't even make it into the 'before cleaning' picture because I identify them as crap without even cleaning them. Follo

Default Holy crap ! 2 seconds from being chucked away !

Hi all

During every trip relic hunting, I will find bits of metal that don't even make it into the 'before cleaning' picture because I identify them as crap without even cleaning them.

Following my last visit to the Aircrew barracks, I had the usual bits of crap that were never cleaned and just sat in my garage until i can be bothered to actually chuck the stuff in the bin.

Well, this evening I did just that and was just about to empty the junk into the bin when I noticed something.

One Item I had was a folded piece of metal with a hole at one end. It was totally plastered in mud and looked like a hunk of crap........BUT ! Just as it was sliding off the tray and into the bin I thought I noticed a letter stamped in the metal, just underneath where the metal folded over.

So I took it inside and gave it a quick wash and did indeed see the letter 'B' stamped on the metal. I very carefully unfolded the piece as much as I dare without snapping it in half and gave it a damn good clean.

What I was looking at caused me to shout the wife !!!!!!

It is obviously far too big to be a 'dogtag'. It was found in the same area as other German items I know were lost by the POWs held at the barracks at the end of the war.

Could it belong to one of the German soldiers ? Or is it just a strange coincidence ?

Does anyone recognise it or know what it is ? What about the numbers ? Can anyone help ?

If I hadn't spotted that letter the thing would have been lost forever !

Many thanks !

Steve T (rather excited )
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Holy crap !  2 seconds from being chucked away !  

Default Re: Holy crap ! 2 seconds from being chucked away !

I have just had a thought !

Of course, this doesn't have to be German. It could be something relating to one of the men stationed at the base. Josef Scheib could be an American !

Steve T

Cracking find mate..... although very nearly lost again!!

Dyou think it could have been a POW's id tag? Surely one to research further though.

wow indeed!!!!,
    terrific find, looks a home made tag to me, possibly german or most likely american ground crew serviceman stationed at your base tagging his own gear/kit, however with that name maybe....... keep us posted!!!

Hi Steve,

Nice find! Here's a couple of examples of allied POW tags in Germany. Not the same, but very similar. That's all i've got i'm afraid!

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Doh!!

Computers having a brain fart!! I'll try later.

Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.