Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Horsa bits and pieces Arnhem

Article about: by 381st digger Well worth the hard work i think!! Do you have any info on these two Horsa data plates? My uncle found them years ago in Germany or France he cant remember. Any info would be

Default Horsa bits and pieces Arnhem

Took me some hours digging:

I am a nutt for gliders tags

Default Re: Horsa bits and pieces Arnhem

I love the glider loading ramp, well worth the hard work to dig this out.

Cheers, Ade.

have you been to the assult glider trust at Raf shawbury, if not find out there next open day, i used to volenteer down there a bit truely amazing stuff, congrats on the sucsess for all that hard digging
    regards Mad_ideas

Those are fantastic finds thanks for sharing with us. I wish you every success in your future searches. If you're ever in the UK I'd recommend RAF Middlewallop they have several WW2 gliders on display.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Well worth the hard work i think!!
    Do you have any info on these two Horsa data plates? My uncle found them years ago in Germany or France he cant remember. Any info would be really helpfull as i dont know anything about gliders. Thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Horsa bits and pieces Arnhem   Horsa bits and pieces Arnhem  

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    I love the glider loading ramp, well worth the hard work to dig this out.

Cheers, Ade.

It was indeed Ade, LZ S ,near Wolfheze, on top of it were other glider pieces, which like most of the stuff I have found went to Paul Hendriks

Quote by LUCKYSTRIKE View Post
    Those are fantastic finds thanks for sharing with us. I wish you every success in your future searches. If you're ever in the UK I'd recommend RAF Middlewallop they have several WW2 gliders on display.
    LUCKYSTRIKE
    I visit Middle Wallop, many years ago, would love to go back there again, maybe next year

Hi Philip,
    I live quite close to Middlewallop so if you do make it over next year (good time for you with the Euro so high against the Pound) send me a PM and perhaps we could meet up to visit the museum.
    I had a look through my photo archive and found a few of a visit I made a several years ago so thought I'd post them to wet your appetite.
    All the best and good luck with your searches.
    LUCKYSTRIKE
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Horsa bits and pieces Arnhem   Horsa bits and pieces Arnhem  

Horsa bits and pieces Arnhem   Horsa bits and pieces Arnhem  

Will do thanks for the wonderful photographs, will do my best to make it, if so I will let you know, could you send me a pm, next time you go there, would like to ask you a few questions about the gliders in the museum.

Hi Philip
    Yes I will do... from memory the Middle Wallop Museum has the substantial remains of two Horsa's,the natural wood (orange) fronted one (in my picture) is a veteran being used at Arnhem. They also have a rebuilt Waco
    CG4A/Hadrian glider as the Brits called them. The Museum also has a large part of a Hamilcar (as shown in my pics), which you can wander around inside and also view from above. They also have a training Hotspur MK3 glider which I believe is rare maybe the only one left. As well as this they have lots of peices of relic gliders, including the gliders that crashed in Norway on the first attempted mission to destroy the heavy water plant. There's a nice little shop which sells plenty of books on the subject and also a very good DVD all about the Glider Regiment with lots of original film of the gliders and interviews with veterans.
    If you have any questions then please ask and I'll do my best to get an answer or perhaps a photograph for you.
    Just for interest if you're ever in Normandy the Pegasus Bridge Museum at Ouistram in Normandy has an exactly built copy of a Horsa made from the original blue Prints. The plans were supplied by Airspeed on one condition When they had built it, 'They were not to try to fly it!'. They also have the fuselage of another relic Horsa that was given to them by the Middlewallop Museum, as well as plenty of other relic peices. The US Airborne Museum at St Mere Eglise the other side of Normandy has a nice Waco Glider and C47 tow aircraft, together with lots of other glider and airborne relics. I'd highly recommend both museums.
    Have a good weekend.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast