Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Hurtegen Forest II Blown Bunkers!

Article about: Here are some more shots of our recent visit to the Hurtegen. After lots of research and finding an original veteran to give our group a tour of sites most people couldn't find. A Lot of the

JIMSJEEP
    ?

Default Hurtegen Forest II Blown Bunkers!

Here are some more shots of our recent visit to the Hurtegen. After lots of research and finding an original veteran to give our group a tour of sites most people couldn't find. A Lot of these sites are on forest tracks belonging to the forestry commission so we could access areas closed off to the public. Those dark foreboding woods cunger up many ghost from the not too distant past! Spent cases firefight exchanges we found evidence of it all! Our guide mentioned how 20 to 30 years ago you could still find helmets and such like still strewn around, but now of course you've gotta search a little harder!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Hurtegen Forest II Blown Bunkers!   Hurtegen Forest II Blown Bunkers!  

Hurtegen Forest II Blown Bunkers!   Hurtegen Forest II Blown Bunkers!  

Hurtegen Forest II Blown Bunkers!  

jdam777
    ?

Default Re: Hurtegen Forest II Blown Bunkers!

I recognize these bunkers as sites I explored back in 1981 while stationed in Germany.
    Most are very hazardess due to the fact that the German goverment blew up most of these and burried the openings after the war, making them very dangerous to go in.
    My buddies and I knew this and we rarely went inside them, untill one trip Freinds and I took near the luxenburg border, While decending a vertical stair case my freind Matt fell about 100' after a step broke under his foot, He broke his back and neck and is paralized from the neck down still today. Seeing these places again prompted me to write this just to remind would be explorers to be Very Very carefull about going in these bunkers.... Its fun to find old war stuff, but not worth spending life as a vegetable.
    On a lighter side, Thanks for the pictures!, They are great!

JIMSJEEP
    ?

Default Re: Hurtegen Forest II Blown Bunkers!

Hi,

Tragic story about your buddy! very good words on the dangers of exploring these sites.
    The structures we explored were the smaller intact bunkers, our veteran guide even accompanied us in. As for the blown bunkers, yes you have to have your wits about you and watch your footing and head when negotiating these sites. Your right it's fun checking out this WW2 stuff as long as you exercise some caution.

Glad you like the pics thanks for your interest.

Jim...