Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I'm new, where do I start????

Article about: Hi my names wayne and I'm 27, I live in kent and Military history has always been something I'm interested in as I have a relative who fell at vimi ridge during WW1. I am very interested in

Default I'm new, where do I start????

Hi my names wayne and I'm 27, I live in kent and Military history has always been something I'm interested in as I have a relative who fell at vimi ridge during WW1. I am very interested in getting involved in looking for relics, but I want to do it in the right way without hacking anyone off and getting in trouble. I have been in the armed forces myself so I have respect for what potentionaly can be found, and what not to mess around with.
    I would appreciate any advice shared.

Thanks
    Last edited by Steve T; 02-14-2013 at 12:37 AM.

Default Re: I'm new, where do I start????

You came to the right place! I started a little over a year ago and this forum is the best thing that I have purchased! Feel free to ask questions and use the search feature to look up items you might be interested in. Always post good clear photos of items you might be looking to purchase as this will save you a lot of money and tears from buying fakes or replicas, which there are many! Welcome aboard and good hunting!

Regards,
    Sam

Hello and welcome, what was you in? (military that is)
    Ben

3pwrr,

First and foremost, it's essential to be well versed on the Laws of digging. Laws may well vary by locality, so check in Depth wherever you intend to search. Ask politely and respectfully for Permission from land owners. Often times the gruff old landowner will respond well to a talkative and friendly approach, but do not be offended if they send you packing. It Will happen. And do Not encroach on other hunters locations-this is a Serious do Not. If they invite you along-fine. If they do not-then do Not, whether they are present when you search or not.

Another point- Purchase a Decent Metal Detector. The cheaper one's you see in the stores are okey for finding your car keys in the fallen leaves in your backyard, but if you want to get Serious on relic hunting, you need Good equipment. Read up on them-research them out and talk to experienced detector users about their recommendations and what to look for. Small portable shovels, brushes, etc are also all essentially needed items. Seemingly silly things like boots, gloves, plastic bags, probes, note books and water bottles all turn out to be very much needed items in the field.

Prior Researching in areas for the best likely spots to find items is also a must do. Get acquainted with old maps(things change over time) and ask old timers in the area. Many times they will remember things and locations that have been long since forgotten.

Leave the area as you Found it. Nothing will enrage land owners and others more than seeing gaping holes and piles of dirt everywhere when you leave. And remember the old Boy Scout rule-carry out what you carry in. Leave Nothing behind you that was not there when you arrived.

Relic hunting can be a fascinating and hugely fun activity, but do it Right from the beginning and it could be the start of a whole new and great pastime! Good luck!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Hi and welcome to the forum.

First off, I've made a minor alteration to your post, nothing serious, just removed a swearword

Secondly, start in the metal detecting forum. I put a sticky post there giving advice on where to start and how to find areas likely to contain relics.

Thirdly, stick around, learn how we do it, contribute to the forum and then join RRPG.

Steve T

?

Quote by ShortChangeHero View Post
    3pwrr,
    Thats Prince of Wales Royal Regiment for those who don't know !!

Hello Wayne when when you say you are interested in Military History which bit are you interested in ?
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Hi Steve, thanks for the tips, how do I join the RRPG??

Mainly interested in ww1 trench warfare, but I'm just as interested in ww2. I'm going to France for a week in April. I have hired an RV, so I'm going to head down to Normandy first, up to Newfoundland park, arras, vimi ridge and hopefully bastonge.

Quote by ShortChangeHero View Post
    Hi Steve, thanks for the tips, how do I join the RRPG??
    Contribute to the forum, be helpful, show your integrity and come back to me when you hit 100 posts. When you reach this thresh-hold and fulfil the criteria I've just mentioned you become eligible to join RRPG.

Steve T

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast