Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

An interesting few finds from a Victorian rifle range

Article about: so they don't re-detect them next time. I do the same with modern trash and shotgun shells. Dig them out then bury them all in one spot.

Default Re: An interesting few finds from a Victorian rifle range

Sorry.....the more I look at those cartridges the less convinced I am about them.

Can you post a picture of them 'stood up', (the cartridges, not you). The headstamps are funny for 380s and the one far right could well be a 45 and the '380s' something else but bigger !

I'll get it right eventually...

Steve T

Hope this will help
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture An interesting few finds from a Victorian rifle range   An interesting few finds from a Victorian rifle range  

That's confirmed it. You were correct about the one far right.........it is indeed a .45 cal. This being the case, I strongly believe the others are a rare beast indeed ! .455 Webley rounds. You have, yet again, found something I have never found and I am fast losing patience with you ........

Nice finds !!

Steve T

PS Grab yourself some cheap gap measuring caliper thingies. I got my electronic ones from Aldi for £5 but I think Maplin do a cheap set as well. Then you can measure the internal dimension of carts and be certain what they are

PPS Electronic Digital Calliper : Enviroment Testers : Maplin Electronics

There ya go !

?

Oh God, he's going to be like a bear with a sore arse now, for crying out loud please someone invite him to a dig where he can find something rare otherwise we'll all suffer

Dave go bury a steak in his veggie patch would you?

webley .445.bmp looks like it

?

Im afraid that just wont do, it has to be metal, military, mucky and meaningful

Hi chaps, the above cases are Webley .455 as mentioned. There are also .455 bullets in one of the pics. The .38 S&W are quite scarce as they were bought when there was a shortage of .38 200 British cartridges and the .38 Enfield No.2 was not designed for the .38 S&W cartridge so they were only ever a stop gap.

The Damaged .303 is exactly what happens to a .303 round in a Bren when a round mis feeds and hits the barrel face.

Thanks M3 interesting stuff.Perhaps we should have posted this info after Dec 9th? oh well

a few finds from my trusty site,just fancied finding something.im quite lucky i guess
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture An interesting few finds from a Victorian rifle range  

Nice base nut What's the date on it CB ? Looks like a few spent 9mm and 45cals as well. If you can find where they were firing from, you'll get the cartridges to go with them

Steve T

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast