Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Island farm POW camp - A site has beaten me :( :(

Article about: by Steve T Ned (big) Yep......use both regularly. Just didn't think I'd need them where I was going so failed to take any with me Citronella gives me a nasty rash but spike lavendar works gr

Default Re: Island farm POW camp - A site has beaten me :( :(

Quote by Steve T View Post
    Ned (big)

Yep......use both regularly. Just didn't think I'd need them where I was going so failed to take any with me Citronella gives me a nasty rash but spike lavendar works great......just have to smell like a yardleys cabinet for a day or so

Steve T
    Hi Steve,

If i hadn't just read the 'Salerno finds' thread i'd have thought "how'd he know that...?" My Mom's a retired pharmacist, and that's how i knew! Good stuff ain't it!! (when you remember it of course....)Anyway, i'd a thought you'd be up the wooden hills by now old lad!!

Kind regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Hi Steve
    I was pleased to see your post about Island Farm camp. I live about 10 mins away and have often wondered what someone could find there with a detector. Shame your trip was in vain. I visited the site in the late eighties/early nineties after seeing the article in After the Battle magazine before they knocked it down. It was just a place where people walked their dogs and kids smashed up and smoked. Suprisingly the females painted on the walls of the hut where the escape took place to distract the guards were left alone. I took a fair few pics of the camp and pictures and also found cartridges similar to yourself, the TA used the camp in the 60`s hence why they were there. As I recall they tried to save the camp but it was demolished anyway though they did save the hut with the pictures in which the escape was made from. Last I saw it it was fenced off like Colditz ! Anyway good effort fella, I must admit I thought you would find more.....

Hi Steve, if you are interested in POW camps .... have you tried Pingley Camp in North Lincolnshire ... ? A lot closer that Wales ... and it hasn't been demolished ... as the pictures on this site show: Lincolnshire. Pingley POW camp .... and no ... I haven't searched it .... my only interests are 8th Airforce, 8th Airforce and 8th Airforce ...

Simon

ps. If you ever think about selling any of your toiletry finds from you airfield site ....

gremlin

I am afraid I have just discovered that Pibley was demolished in January 2009 to make room for a housing development. Another bit of history lost forever......

Steve T

Hi Steve, the post war dated blank rounds you discovered will date from a private battle re-enactment which took place there in the late 1980's. A Welsh friend was telling me about this at the weekend when I mentioned your finds to him. The barracks was all intact back then.

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks Ade

Das Jurn
    ?

Nice find I like those casings.

Also I get the feeling those strips used to be attached to some bigger piece of machinery, just a feeling though.

Hi Steve,
    Nice find's again but hard luck with overall result hey.I guess there's no harm in trying and you have more options than we do here.I am still visiting the former POW camp sites here in oz but going is very slow.
    I still don't own a detector so have to go through the ground by hand and keep my fingers crossed.As i remember i told you quite some time ago it was a rubbish site come bonfire so item's are confined to one area but still only manage to find a small tub each visit which largely consist's of Aust. Army button's from POW tunic's.They are made from copper and thus survived extreme heat and year's of being buried in the ground.
    I have uncovered over 50 German button's (many damaged by heat) plus 2 complete dog tag's and other various bits and pieces but sadly no combat badge or buckle.I have also found some nice Italian buttons and coins with facist eagle.I hope to still find the holy grail and will keep digging until i buy a detector next month.

Cheer's mate

Tom

Thanks Tom

I was disappointed with the site but hey ! I can't win 'em all

It's a shame you don't have a detector yourself as it would narrow your search down an awful lot. You can get half decent ones for less than £100 nowadays which will work well on your small, close (ish) to the surface finds.

Keep hunting mate !

Steve T

mooey
    ?

hi just found this post as i am a new member found it very interesting some of those blanks could be mine as i done several reactments there in 1986/87 in the ww2 bra group i was in the east yorkshire regt to a 16 year old boy i found the place amazing but very creepy as i had one of the most terrifiring nights of my nights of my life which i have never forgot to this day the room i was sleeping in i heard german music , marching , and gut wrenching screams like some one being hanged i was absolutley frozen with fear staring at the doorway in my room waiting for someone to come in or something my two mates in the room with me were fast asleep i could not understand it when i told every body in the morning nobody heard a thing in the camp it was only then i was told by my friend about the german pow being hanged by his own comrades i hope this has been helpful

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast