Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Its a Mystery?, WW2 German glass lid marked 95mm

Article about: Many years ago I excavated an Ardennes dug out that yielded, two german helmets (no decals) one bullet holed, a smashed false teeth plate, gas mask tin, bayonet, K98 bullets and clips, remai

Default Its a Mystery?, WW2 German glass lid marked 95mm

Many years ago I excavated an Ardennes dug out that yielded, two german helmets (no decals) one bullet holed, a smashed false teeth plate, gas mask tin, bayonet, K98 bullets and clips, remains of M39 egg grenades and this mystery object.
    Its a glass dish/lid marked SCHUTZ MARK , OPLIMA, 95mm sadly I have never been able to discover its use, maybe you can help?.
    Suggestions have been that due to the German metal shortages in late 1944, glass was used as a substitute to make things like the air tight lids for shell casings, another suggestion was a lens cap for a film camera or perhaps it was for a food jar. But if it was then why is it marked with 95mm?.
    I dug the site out and no jar remains were found.
    Hopefully you'll have an idea what it may be?
    Thanks for looking.
    LUCKYSTRIKE
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Its a Mystery?, WW2 German glass lid marked 95mm  

Default Re: Its a Mystery?, WW2 German glass lid marked 95mm

I think it will be off a food jar. I am thinking that a camera lens would be very large for that size.

Also could it read "optima"?

Cheers, Ade.

its off of a 95mm movie camera lens filter . My grandfather collected cameras and i have a couple like that around here somewhere (55mm and 75mm) if i find them i will post some pics

Schutz Marke tranlates to "Protection Brand" and Optima was a camera company

Hi theduke635,
    Thats superb news and very exciting, as I said in the post it was found in a dug out on a trench line that was on a stable front for a few weeks in the Ardennes. The dug out also yielded several other German relics.
    Your new information has got my imagination flowing, just maybe this proves the trench line was filmed perhaps for a propaganda newsreal or even Die Deutsche Wochenschau and if it was, then may be the film footage will still exist somewhere. However if it was shown and I saw the original its probably unlikely I'd recognise the place. The landscape appearance will have changed tremendiously in the intermining years. Thanks again for your reply and if you do manage to locate your similar film caps I'd really apreciate you posting a picture.
    Best Wishes.
    LUCKYSTRIKE.

?

in the last days of war, germans used glass bottle containing a milky fluid which when mixed with oxygen it will cause a tank engine to stop, but i don't think this is one, just like what the gentelman said, it is for films