Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I've been at it again ! WW2 airfield. 1st visit of 2009

Article about: Hi All Well the snow finally melted and the weather turned warmer so I decided to get out to the WW2 airfield I have been going to. Not as good a day as when i found the Merlin exhaust ports

Default Re: I've been at it again ! WW2 airfield. 1st visit of 2009

Hi, its been bugging me today after seeing your pics last night that O ring by its size and style looks very much like an O Ring from a German Zeltbahn (Tent Quarter). I've found loads over the years in Europe. You have to remember that when taken prisoner a German would only get rid of his Zeltbahn if forced because it had so many uses particularily for weather protection. Due to this many ended up coming to the UK with the POW owners to be used as temporary tents in holding areas. To help make up your mind I've put a photo on to show a few I've found over the years from places like Normandy, the Ardennes, Huertgon forest, Halbe, Dukla etc etc.
    LUCKYSTRIKE
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture I've been at it again !  WW2 airfield. 1st visit of 2009  

You maybe onto something there Luckystrike.......This, coupled with the German dog tag and German button I've found, it seems increasingly likely the area I am searching was used to house POWs temporarily. I'll do some digging and see if I can confirm it's use as such.

Steve T

The 303 cartridge with the fine grooves is whats known as an emergency pattern drill round and should have a wooden bullet which has likely rotted away over the years .The W1 indicates the cartridge was originally an armour piercing round,
    On another note the 20mm fuze has the gain/booster still attatched .i cant tell from the photo but if the bottom is still closed be carefull with this you could easily lose some fingers

attatched image shows a german 2cm with gain fitted for you to compare
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture I've been at it again !  WW2 airfield. 1st visit of 2009  

Quote by spotter View Post
    .....but if the bottom is still closed be carefull with this you could easily lose some fingers.....
    OMG ! I don't wanna lose any fingers thank you very much !

Is there any way to make it safe or shall i take it to the authorities for proper disposal ?

(a very concerned) Steve T

PS thanks for info on the 303. It has indeed got the remains of rotten wood inside,.

Not worth the risk of attempting to make safe steve ,im also sending you a pm

Thanks Spotter

I owe you one !

Steve T

?

Exclamation Re: I've been at it again ! WW2 airfield. 1st visit of 2009

Steve .. go careful with them 20mm rounds ....Listen to spotter !

If it is the same batch as I mentioned in your "aircrew barracks thread ", .. they have already claimed fingers and a liberal "peppering" !!

Gary J.

Thanks guys.

The fuze tip is now in a shallow pit in my back garden, at the end in the corner. I will dispose of it safely in the coming days.

As i have said on numerous occasions before, I am an avid relic hunter but stupid i am NOT.

Thanks to spotter for warning me. I obviously knew that the 20mm shell itself was very dangerous but didn't think the tip would be that bad. I now know !!

Everyone please take note......don't risk it guys.

Steve T

Hi Steve,
    I've gotta go with gremlin on the piece of ammo ejection chute.I've got some pictures somewhere back home, i'm pretty certain there the same. I'll post them if i can find them when i get out of hospital.
    Regards Ned.

?

Hello Steve, the listing on this website Aviation Archaeology- Part Number Prefix By Aircraft Type
    puts your 104- part number as a P51B, so an early razorback model. Nice piece, you can rely on the yanks for lots of stainless. I liked your signoff advice, I know the feeling: P61 dig in Cheshire.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast