Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Jersey and German Relics

Article about: Most of the german arms dumps were destroyed by the british with explosives, I remember reading the biography of a british lietenant who was in the advance party to check for booby trap bomb

Default Jersey and German Relics

hi,
    i am planning a trip to jersey next month and have some questions. does anybody know where to look/dig for german relics at the island? what about the law? is it legal to dig for relics? do i have to report to some local authorities or do i need a permission? thanks in advance for any helpful advice.
    cheers

Default Re: Jersey and German Relics

I think you'll be wasting your time looking for relics on Jersey, it's a small Island, plenty of collectors live there and there was no fighting, so you'll be very limited to what you might find.

Just enjoy the island, it's a great place for a few days holiday.

Cheers,

Steve

Sorry but there is no point looking for stuff there.
    there is nothing there.
    but go see the bunkers,the german hospital there is alot to see.

Quote by cricketchris1944 View Post
    Sorry but there is no point looking for stuff there.
    there is nothing there.
    but go see the bunkers,the german hospital there is alot to see.
    The hospital is definately worth a visit,i have taken my detector to various bunkers on the North coast and not found much,few bits of iron really. If you goto Plemont bunkers on low tide and walk down cliff paths you can get a good look at the flak,and anti ship gun barrels they tipped over the cliffs after the war. And round the corner from the road to the hospital is a path to get above it,i found an old folding shovel there on a look out post i never knew existed,if ya want any info PM me,i can give ya some directions to some nice bunkers worth a look...

Hi in Jersey has already said,no point in digging,but alot to see! Plemont point is one off many sites to view,over the cliff walk down to shore line to view anti aircraft barrels,wheels still with rubber tyres,hospital underground, st peters to
    view war bunker,alround the island there is a lot to see.I suggest you purchase
    one off many books that are on sale which show all German sites,maps etc.
    Enjoy your stay!
    Steve,
    who dares wins.

hi and thank you for your advice. but i think there should be something cause i always read about british airfield dump diggings and i think there should be german dumps as well. maybe there is still something nice to find. i think i will try. if i was lucky i will let you know

?

Whats the Law for detecting in Jersey ? I assume it is the same as the rest of the UK ?
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

A few years ago i think the helmet of the german commander in Jersey was nicked from the museum at least thats what my memory is telling me?,does anyone know any more, if in fact this happened ,and was it found,LV
    Last edited by LAS VEGAS; 07-15-2010 at 10:23 AM.

?

Yes it did happen LV and to the best of my knowledge it has never been recovered
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

i had a book on jersey under the occupation some bunkers were just buried completely and grassed over and a shedload of kit was all dumped into the sea off of one of the coastal points thats all i can remember

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast