Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Just my luck.

Article about: by davejb Easy to open the packet though, just pull the pin!!! Ha-Ha ! I wish I had a metal detector and lived over there.................... ! Regards, Steve.

Default Re: Just my luck.

Chaps.

On a serious note, I have just about sealed permission to use a metal detector on the site. However i shall now be very nervous digging items up and was wondering how vunerable things like this are when hit by a spade. I know that the site was an airfield but was also used as a training ground for the RAF regiment and also a practce area for the Arnhem landings during WW2.

Regards

Steve

Quote by steve123 View Post
    Chaps.

On a serious note, I have just about sealed permission to use a metal detector on the site. However i shall now be very nervous digging items up and was wondering how vunerable things like this are when hit by a spade. I know that the site was an airfield but was also used as a training ground for the RAF regiment and also a practce area for the Arnhem landings during WW2.

Regards

Steve
    Just dig slowly and carefully and if you dont know what it is dont touch it, even 20mm rounds can be very nasty if handled as they have a habbit of exploding

Thanks

Danny

Unfortunatly Steves right, there isn't the time or money to search whole areas to a satisfactory level. If we clear an area, we have to certify it as clear, and the only way to to that is to spend years searching. I spent years on Bowes moor clearing an old Mustard gas bottling plant, we had to dig every indication, and the detector is more sensative than a normal detector. I found hundreds of red bricks, and only ever 1 mustard gas bomb, which was empty. The guys before me did find a conventional 500lb bomb in a farmers barn and parts of a 3 ton truck. If you ever go up that way its worth a look at the area (Its still got warning signs up) and if its fogy, you can smell the lime they used to destroy the gas.

Did you see the EOD guys? If this was my job, I'd either tape the fly off lever down or use a small water bottle with the top cut off and place it over the grenade. Then I would place it in the middle of a H83 filled with field dirt. I am surprised they didn't have some fun and blow it in situ. PUCAs are boring.

I have found hundred of thoses items ,I always call the police to tell them.You do not want a kid to find it.But still is avery cool piece of history to discover.

?

I always recall that several people a year are killed in France on the sites of ww1 battle areas, and that a large majority of them are farmers who have ploughed up some form of live ordanance, or gas shell. Detecting is a pleasurable hobby and can reveal wonderful finds but this pastime should always be tempered with caution as im sure the more experienced will tell you time and time again or in my language, gently gently, catchy monkey

Quote by cricketchris1944 View Post
    I have found hundred of thoses items ,I always call the police to tell them.You do not want a kid to find it.But still is avery cool piece of history to discover.
    At the US Army Dumping ground area but on a part of the site now occupied by Unipart one of the guys there found a couple of 105mm Dummy HESH rounds which were later confirmed as safe by the authorities being empty shell bodies without their base plugs intact and the small nose cavities filled with black tar. I beleive they were taken for souvenirs pretty quickly! It just shows you never know what you might find and that is such the exciting part. Caution is the word though and if you find anything like it and youre not sure-leave it just in case.

Grenades are always being found in places like crisp factories. They act like potatoes in the collecting and bagging processes. Its only when they get washed and a manual checker finds it that they discovered. I think Walkers have a special area for UXO. Anyone work for walkers?

?

Wow, grenade flavour crisps, now that could have won me a lot of money, a few months back lol.

Quote by davejb View Post
    Wow, grenade flavour crisps, now that could have won me a lot of money, a few months back lol.
    ? Crisp flavour grenades ? !

- The packet would be quite heavy !

I can see though the concerns they might have,
    roughly the same shape as a potato.......

Regards, Steve.

?

Easy to open the packet though, just pull the pin!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast