Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Just my luck.

Article about: by davejb Easy to open the packet though, just pull the pin!!! Ha-Ha ! I wish I had a metal detector and lived over there.................... ! Regards, Steve.

Default Just my luck.

I have spent alot of time walking the footpaths of my local ww2 airfield in the hope of finding something interesting for my collection. Up until now i have found absoloutley nothing. Then today i noticed that the farmer had ploughed a small piece of land that i believe has not been touched since the airfield was de-commisioned. After only a few seconds i spotted this just 5 meters from the foot path.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Just my luck.  

Default Re: Just my luck.

Oh yes and before anyone asks, i have not brought it home to clean up or try and de-activate it. The local bomb desposal unit will be destroying it.

Steve.

Well, what cant i say.....Its a Mills Bomb, and by the look of things its live! I'm not too sure what to suggest to do next, i take it that you have left it alone? Letting the police know would probably be the best and safest thing to do.

Thanks

Danny

Quote by steve123 View Post
    Oh yes and before anyone asks, i have not brought it home to clean up or try and de-activate it. The local bomb desposal unit will be destroying it.

Steve.
    Answered my question before you even asked you did the right thing nice find though

Thanks

Danny

Well...one thing is for sure steve.....you need to get a metal detector over that field PRONTO !!! There's sure to be more stuff, most of which you WILL be able to take home.

Well done for leaving it where it is. Grenades are notoriously bad tempered when moved from their resting place. You did the right thing but I feel your pain.....I am sure, like me, you would have considered taking it home for a good 10 minutes before coming back to reality and calling the bomb squad

Good luck mate......you'll find something one day I am sure.

Steve T

I wonder what else is lurking there

Great find thanks for sending the pic
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Well what can I say, Cool to know something is going on around there, uncool to find something that will vaporize parts of you. As suggested already, I'd go out there and take a CAREFUL look around maybe there's something else out there that won't go BOOM.

Mike

Cheers for the replies folks.

Steve T, i can relate to your thinking (should i pick it up) when i first saw it i brushed a small bit of mud from it but then noticed my dog taking an interest in the "ball" shaped item and had visions of him running off with it. I then started thinking of my children "Where is daddy he's not usually gone this long".

Anyway i waited for the police and then the local bomb disposal unit who removed it and informed me it would be destroyed on the range tomorrow. What concerns me is that no effort was made in searching the area for similar items that may be lurking just below the surface.

Lucky farmer ................!

Regards, Steve.

Quote by steve123 View Post
    What concerns me is that no effort was made in searching the area for similar items that may be lurking just below the surface.
    LOL !

You made me laugh !

The police and army don't give a monkeys about stuff beneath the surface. They rely on people like you and me to find it. They haven't got the interest/time/botheration to look for anything else.

Steve T

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast