Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Korean War: "Massacre Valley" Hoengseong

Article about: Hi Tate, I noticed you're from Taipei, Taiwan which begs to ask your interest in the Korean War and where exactly you'll be visiting so I can give you more local locations to visit. Also, I

Default Re: Korean War: "Massacre Valley" Hoengseong

Hi Tate,
    I noticed you're from Taipei, Taiwan which begs to ask your interest in the Korean War and where exactly you'll be visiting so I can give you more local locations to visit. Also, I lived in Taichung for 3 years, so I'll be happy to play host to a visit to my neck of the woods. Sorry I can't give ya google earth
    directions. But this is Korea, hike ANY hill and you're bound to find something interesting!

Hey Lucky!
    Your advice is spot-on and I've followed thru with most. I removed the live rounds for fear that the whole mag would be confiscated for destruction.
    Only thing for me to do now is coat the mag with a spray can enamel which is the best that I could find so far, but the deterioriaton...it's sudden and
    fast. It is the sudden exposure to air that does the worst damage.

Dear Unforgottenwar,

Thank you! You have done very great jobs.

Here only have a little books about Korean War so that not many people know this war well in Taiwan. I have noticed many Chinese books were imported recently which were written in CCPs position. Since I can read Korean(I lived in Korea during 1983-1985), Id like to write other story with photos to tell Taiwanese, even Chinese, what Korean was suffering and how Americans fighting at this war.

I have planned to begin by collecting information and taking pictures little by little. Next month, 20th to 26th , well be my first Korean War trip, Ill rent a car to see some war battlefields and to make sure the local name where the fighting took place. I also like to find used books from second hand book stores. It would be nice if you can give me advice and tell me where I must go. I'm so happy that you will be my host but hope it won't take much time from you.

Are people allowed to visit Battle of White Horse Hill ?

Sorry for my poor writing English.
    Last edited by Tate Huang; 09-28-2011 at 12:39 PM.

Wink Re: Korean War: "Massacre Valley" Hoengseong

There are plenty of great books out there. A few I'd recommend are Ebb and Flow by Billy Mossman, In Mortal Combat: Korea by John Tolland, The Korean War by Max Hastings and Wonju by J.D. Coleman. But I doubt you'll find any used editions...
    You have a week and since you'll have a car I also recommend starting with the Korean War museum in Seoul, head north to the Battle of Imjin River, then east to Battle of Gapyong, then little south to the Battle of Chipyongni, then east again to Hoengseong, then south to Wonju. If you can make 5 battle sites in 7 days, you're doing good! But several (Wonju, Hoengseong, Chuncheon) have NO memorials or markers and nearly impossible to find on your own. When and if I'm free I can show you around those sites if there's time.
    White Horse Hill like nearly all of the more famous battles are up in North Korea. Sorry, can't take you there!ha~!
    Still, plenty of even more interesting places around South Korea.

Don't worry about your English, you're doing good. I tried to study Chinese....uh-uh, forgetaboutit...I tried though!

Good luck on your publishings and thanks for that translation of the CCF bowl on the other thread. If you don't mind
    I may ask for your help on a few more things!

Dan

I take that back...Hoengseong and Wonju do have Memorials, but they're small and frankly, disappointing. Gapyoung is full of nice memorials and my favorite is the one for Chipyongni, really humble, simple, beautiful and full of sentiment. Most memorials are modern art garbage that I simply...."dislike" (I try to refrain from "hate!")

Quote by Tate Huang View Post
    Dear Unforgottenwar,

Thank you! You have done very great jobs.

Here only have a little books about Korean War so that not many people know this war well in Taiwan. I have noticed many Chinese books were imported recently which were written in CCPs position. Since I can read Korean(I lived in Korea during 1983-1985), Id like to write other story with photos to tell Taiwanese, even Chinese, what Korean was suffering and how Americans fighting at this war.

I have planned to begin by collecting information and taking pictures little by little. Next month, 20th to 26th , well be my first Korean War trip, Ill rent a car to see some war battlefields and to make sure the local name where the fighting took place. I also like to find used books from second hand book stores. It would be nice if you can give me advice and tell me where I must go. I'm so happy that you will be my host but hope it won't take much time from you.

Are people allowed to visit Battle of White Horse Hill ?

Sorry for my poor writing English.

Thank you for your recommendation. I've Wonju by J.D. Coleman already. According to the map of this book(p.142) the Massacre Valley quite near to the Hoengsong city, but some article in the internet shows it took place near changbong, and some Chinese books mention it with unknow name, that was why I ask you to show me the place with Google map. I've also bought some English books about Korean War through Amazon, such as Encyclopedia of the Korean War, Korean War Almanac....., so it is easy to get books in Taiwan. In addition, I have more Korean editions of Korean war. The only problems is that I don't have much time to read them at this moment.

Your suggestion for the trip is very useful, I'll follow it. I hope some of the days I can meet you somewhere.

I'm very glad to help you for translating Chinese any time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12