Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Korean War: May Massacre at Chuncheon

Article about: Ha~ sure is. Or like a stroll throught the tulips, only when they spring up, you don't wanna be near them. Have a good one, Dan

?

Default Re: Korean War: May Massacre at Chuncheon

Quote by WW2Hunter View Post
    Hi Ingrid,
    but there are still people who think these things are harmless and take them home.

Vriendelijke Groeten,
    Steven

Reminds me of the time some years ago when some kids found some mortar rounds in a small stream alongside the main road in Conisbrough, Sth Yorks.
    They notified the police who attended........and promptly removed them from the area, taking the rounds to the safety of the local police station, which also happened to be part of a tri-service complex with the fire and ambulance service there.
    When the EOD guys arrived, they went mad, the rounds were only LIVE and unstable.
    Just goes to show that its not only the "young and foolhardy" who pick up munitions without realising the potential repurcussions!

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

Quote by jimpy View Post
    Reminds me of the time some years ago when some kids found some mortar rounds in a small stream alongside the main road in Conisbrough, Sth Yorks.
    They notified the police who attended........and promptly removed them from the area, taking the rounds to the safety of the local police station, which also happened to be part of a tri-service complex with the fire and ambulance service there.
    When the EOD guys arrived, they went mad, the rounds were only LIVE and unstable.
    Just goes to show that its not only the "young and foolhardy" who pick up munitions without realising the potential repurcussions!

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy
    Like any battlefield metal detectorist, the unexploded ordinance is always a huge concern and not worth
    fooling around with. As in one of my last pictures that 4.2" mortar shell was one of the first dangers I came
    across. I did notice that it wasn't primed so it probably simply rolled down the hill from the u.s. lines. So I thought it safe enough to move it a bit for better pictures but that's all. Also in that valley I found just about every kind of "egg grenade" there is, exploded and unexploded and left those alone.

I'm not sure what the last several pictures are but I know the chinese used a type of stick grenade. I must've found a half dozen of those egg grenades that day. And I know for certain that area was planted with bouncing bettys everywhere. So I do take my time and I'm very careful when I search anywhere.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Korean War: May Massacre at Chuncheon   Korean War: May Massacre at Chuncheon  

Korean War: May Massacre at Chuncheon   Korean War: May Massacre at Chuncheon  

Hey Unforgottenwar,
    From your pictures I can see that you handle very carefully.
    My remark was not ment for you and I hope I didn't offend you by it.
    Just generaly speeking that people sometimes don't realise what they are dealing with and loose their life or limbs in the process.
    The day I win the lottery I will jump on the first plane to South Korea to hunt there with you for a few months.

Cheers and good hunting,
    Steven

Quote by WW2Hunter View Post
    Hey Unforgottenwar,
    From your pictures I can see that you handle very carefully.
    My remark was not ment for you and I hope I didn't offend you by it.
    Just generaly speeking that people sometimes don't realise what they are dealing with and loose their life or limbs in the process.
    The day I win the lottery I will jump on the first plane to South Korea to hunt there with you for a few months.

Cheers and good hunting,
    Steven

Ha!~ No worries Steven. I didn't get that impression whatsoever! I knew it was just a general comment and something that
    needs to be stressed because there's always that ONE person that may make a costly mistake and could get hurt or killed. We all
    know that no relic is worth that. On top of that if authorities feel some guys aren't using plain common sense then they could
    really give us a hard time when all it is is just guys out enjoying a hobby.

I'm hoping to head back out to that site again and maybe another called "Bunker Hill" this weekend....but....my metal detector is
    acting a bit buggy after using it in the rain earlier this week. I'm hoping a good drying and airing out will help so got my fingers
    crossed!

If you ever win that lottery, you'd be more than welcome to visit and try out a few places! I'd love to do the same over there.

Quote by Panzer 3 View Post
    Hi,
    Great finds i hope you get many more to show us, Cant you keep relic weapons over there
    as they cant do any harm to anyone.
    dave.
    You and I know that they're harmless unless swung like a bat, but in Korea.....the laws regarding
    ANY firearms and even bullets are VERY strict. I learned that years ago when I was an MP here
    so I wasn't too surprised.
    Last edited by Unforgottenwar; 05-13-2011 at 05:17 PM.

I had a good weekend with good weather (finally) and relic hunting. Here's a few of the really good finds. One of my favorites was a very, very old cast iron spearpoint. That was a surprise.

But it wouldn't be an Indiana Jones type of relic hunt without the risk of grenades and poisonous snakes. I'm used to finding U.S. related objects but for the last two weekends it's been mostly Soviet/Communist Chinese hardware. It's kinda eerie since it feels like I have the cold war sitting in my apartment!

Well, that's the last visit for a while for me. The vegetation, insects and heat will
    be too much so it'll be late fall before I make it out there again but it's been good!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Korean War: May Massacre at Chuncheon   Korean War: May Massacre at Chuncheon  

Amazing finds, well done great pictures. Thanks for posting.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

I managed to make one more short trip out there before the monsoon
    rains kicked in.

So here are a few more finds!

Korean War: May Massacre at Chuncheon  

Great finds!

Regards

Nice finds again Unforgottenwar,
    I recognise the US granade and the mg magazine, but what is the other one in the 3rd picture?
    Is it a granade or a AP mine?

Cheers,
    Steven

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast