Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Korean War: Shillim-ni Skirmish

Article about: by Unforgottenwar That is John. My hand was kinda shaking and knew exactly what it was as I have my grandfather's as well. I can only guess that a U.S. Army NCO, proud of his ww2 service, to

?

Default Re: Korean War: Shillim-ni Skirmish

Quote by Unforgottenwar View Post
    That is John. My hand was kinda shaking and knew exactly what it was as I have my grandfather's as well. I can only guess that
    a U.S. Army NCO, proud of his ww2 service, took it with him to Korea. Then as he's storming up that hill that I was on, lost it.
    It's a shame he lost it. Some u.s. medals during that had the owner's name stamped on the back, but not this one.

Hey Steven, That's what's called an "Iron Horse" and it's approximately 1,500 years old. It's from Korea's 3 kingdoms
    period and that one is one of four that I've found on that knob. I guess they're part of a grave, but I think North Koreans dug it up
    as they were making an extinsive system of bunkers and line trenches and threw those horses out. It's a shame really and I don't
    quite feel comfortable keeping something that may be important and part of ancient history. I'm working on contacting local archaeologists.

Here's the other three...
    Those horses are amazing! I think they were used to pray over when their horses were sick. I've seen an episode of Antiques Roadshow where some guy had about five but some were other animals. i think there was a cow too. Anyway, they were appraised at $15,000!!! you might make some money selling them to the local museum( if the laws allows) but you might not want to disturb ancient grave sites! Cool #@$%!
    ~Dean

You're a lucky man to live in such a rich historical area.
    What you should do with them is up to you.
    It would be a shame to see them rot away.

Grtz and please do continue the good work,

Steven

I agree with Dean. Those horses are very VERY valuable.

Interesting! Would you believe that the first one I found I assumed that it was some kind of trench art. It wasn't until
    later that I realized that they were much, much older than that. Another interesting thing is that on the last horse I found
    I noticed that some spots were awfully polished and shiny with a dull grey color. Then it hit that they have some kind of
    zinc alloy covering the top and it's only covered in a rusty buildup after laying in the ground for so long.
    Now? I hold those little horses with gloved hands! I appreciate the heads up on their possilbe value!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture DSC00542.jpg  

Are you going to clean them up yourself or are you going to ask some expert advise and help from a museum?
    Would love to find such artefacts but here we have to turn them over when we find something that old.
    PS: did the link to the Belgian warmuseum give you some info on the Belgian troops in Korea?

Regards,
    Steven

Very interesting! Why Japanese and Chinese Ching Dynasty coins were there?

I'm just spitballing but the reason for the Chinese coins were that it was a more common currancy due to their close relationship and borders. For a long time, Korea paid tribute of vassal state to China though China never got involved in Korean affairs exept in times of war. Most coins I've found are mid 1700s.
    The Japanese coins are because of Japan's occupation of Korea in the early 1900s, and like Taiwan, Japan forced their language, culture, government, currancy, etc. on Koreans. So nearly all Japanese coins are 1920s-1940s

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12