Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Kurland and halbe accurate maps?

Article about: Hello!! i'm from Spain, and this summer i'll go to Kurland and Halbe, in order to find good stuff. i'm completly novice about digging, and i have no idea about the good place that i have to

Smile Kurland and halbe accurate maps?

Hello!! i'm from Spain, and this summer i'll go to Kurland and Halbe, in order to find good stuff.

i'm completly novice about digging, and i have no idea about the good place that i have to search, my question is, have any of you good maps, from this places? maps who shown the (more or less) exactly positions of the troops or something like that?

i've been searching in internet and i found some maps of halbe, but from kurland all that i can find was maps whit a big big scale 1:10km and i'm looking for four help, i know that if you know the best places, the people usually keep it for theirselves but, i hope you can help me, any closer map, best places to dig, recomendation, anything that can help me will be great!

if you don't want to share these information with everyone maybe can send me a private message, i need your help!

So thank you very much!!!

?

Default Re: Kurland and halbe accurate maps?

Welcome to the forum , unfortunately i have no maps of Halbe or kurland in the scale you want , what i will say is if you are intending to go " digging " in either location please research the laws apertaining to metal detecting / trespass / public land etc in both countries before travelling.

If you are caught digging at Halbe you WILL be spending time with the Polizei !!!

regards

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Have been going digging in Kurland for 11 years with local diggers who have permission from the relevent authorities to search for fallen German and russian solders in the Kurland region and would not recomend going it alone as you may have problems with local district police and most of Latvia is forest and I woukd not search witout local permission and knowledge as you can get lost real and its real hard to find battlefields as there is no real evidence to see.

?

Welcome to the forum , some good advice
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Thanks Paul

Its a great site.

loads of intresting information and great threds.

cheers

matt

Ayrtono
    ?

Quote by ringbuffer View Post
    Have been going digging in Kurland for 11 years with local diggers who have permission from the relevent authorities to search for fallen German and russian solders in the Kurland region and would not recomend going it alone as you may have problems with local district police and most of Latvia is forest and I woukd not search witout local permission and knowledge as you can get lost real and its real hard to find battlefields as there is no real evidence to see.
    Partly true. But what (local) people in this forum don't want to say in public is, there (and here) are lot of local diggers without any "local permissions" , some of them even make business with their finds in publicity, in eBay etc. It's a bit like in Russia in everything, everyone knows what's legal and what's not, but usually things are presented black-and-white only for outsiders. Locals know how to operate on that grey area between illegal and legal. As a foreigner, you would never get any official permission to search old battlefields.

Sure you will get into troubles as anywhere if going to dig/search in somebody's garden, fields in use etc. And there are really lot of dense forests, this summer also temperature and mosquitoes have been really pain in the .ss.

For Kurland, start with Franz Kurowski's books and their situation maps. If in need of operational maps, you can spend some money and order them from National Archives in Washington. No use to ask locals, no one is interested outsiders to ruin their little business

Ayrtono is right about the black diggers as they are called they just dig to find relics to sell on ebay ect without any regard for solders remains they come across.

Also bridgehead kurland is as Ayrtono said a great book and a good source for maps and info about the fighting in Kurland.

excellent info---thasnks, jasper321