Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Latest visit to Airfield barracks - More German items !

Article about: Hey guys Well, this Friday just gone I went back to the airfield barracks BUT this time took ADE WITH ME !!! I had to blindfold him of course so the site remained secret but he didn't mind A

Default Latest visit to Airfield barracks - More German items !

Hey guys

Well, this Friday just gone I went back to the airfield barracks BUT this time took ADE WITH ME !!!

I had to blindfold him of course so the site remained secret but he didn't mind

Apart from the fact it took me 45 minutes of wandering around the area until I re-discovered the last area I visited, and that I had to cut the visit short because I was feeling ill, AND the fact that I didn't do much detecting myself due to being ill.....it was a good day.

Ade enjoyed himself anyway and the memory of him looking all excited over finding the spout off an old enamel coffee pot will remain with me until my dying day.

Hopefully he'll show you his finds on this post as well

Here's my stuff, prior to cleaning.

And then after cleaning......

Some bits that I can't yet identify although one of the silver thingies looks like a cap off a hip flask.

A lovely 1940 Half Crown...

A couple of buckles/clips off kit

Three 303 cartridges, and M1 carbine cartridge (all dated prior to 1943) and 2 stripper clips.

A George Vi coronation badge.......what on earth was this doing there ????

A Nivea lid and a lid off a Nail polishing stone. Amazingly, when I managed to get it open, the instructions were still inside !!!

Some German pebble buttons of 3 different sizes. Also 2 German coins dated 1940..... a 1 and a 5 pfennig.

Now a ring.......when I was at the Militaria fair in Birmingham, I saw a ring very similar to this in amongst some German regimental rings and such like. It appears as though there did used to be an enamel face on the ring, long since eaten away......but could it be German ? The stamp says 'Sterling' so that doesn't help particularly.

And lastly a .50cal ammo tin lid ! What a shame it wasn't attached to the container itself AND full !!!

Anyways, that's the lot from this visit. Hope you can help identify some of the bits and like what I found.

Steve T

PS Images uploaded as well for safe keeping.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Latest visit to Airfield barracks - More German items !   Latest visit to Airfield barracks - More German items !  

Latest visit to Airfield barracks - More German items !   Latest visit to Airfield barracks - More German items !  

Latest visit to Airfield barracks - More German items !   Latest visit to Airfield barracks - More German items !  

Latest visit to Airfield barracks - More German items !  

Default Re: Latest visit to Airfield barracks - More German items !

Hi Steve,

I love these threads of yours and always enjoy reading them, thanks.

Would have loved to have seen Ade blindfolded and being led all around the country side

Great stuff mate.

Cheers,

Grant

Hi Steve,
    We spoke last time you posted a thread.Great find's again and i have some to share with you guy's too when the time is right and i have finished my dig's. It's hard work but well worth it and must share with the forum one day soon

Keep up the good work

Tom

Sorry to hear you've not been feeling so good, but those great finds yet again may go some way to making you feel better. I like the Nivea lid the German Army used a lot of that stuff but the lids although the same design were obviously in german. Looking at the buttons the middle one seems to be painted a brown perhaps even dark earth colour? Interesting because although they'd pobably been defeated by the time your airfield was used as a prisoner of war camp it reminds me of the tropical DAK buttons.
    Lovely post yet again.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Thanks guys

And yes.....I do feel better thanks......bloody IBS ! Don't let ANYONE tell you it is a mild condition.....it STINKS !

As for the button.....it looks more like rust but it could be brown colouration......i'll have a scratch about and see what happens

Steve T

Hope you get better Steve.
    Forgive me for being nieve but what's IBS? Try a kitchen brillo pad (or pot scrubber in the old term's) on the button with a little warm water.They clean up pebbled button's quite well and tend to leave paint intact.I have had success with cleaning many German button's that way.
    Tom

IBS = Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Bouts of severe gut rot in other words

And thanks Tom, I adopted the brillo pad as the final part of my cleaning schedule about a year back

Steve T