Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Let's settle this !

Article about: Ok guys Now let's stop messing around because this is driving me NUTS ! Let's have views on what on earth these cartridges have been deliberately cut through for. They were all found on a nu

Default Re: Let's settle this !

Mag

Welcome to the forums !

Very interesting links and info. Many thanks.

It would be unusual (from what little knowledge i have of the manufacture of cartridges) for military mass production to produce rounds with incorrect dimensions, although not impossible. The damage caused to the weapon leads me to think if this was the case, there may be the odd 50cal and 20mm gun lying around !

Thnaks

Relichunter

?

I think it is just trench art..IMHO
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Let's settle this !  
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Steve,

SorryI can't shed any more light on this but I have also found a lot of cut down .50 cal cartridges around here, I usually just chuck them back in the hole, found quite a few in the field behind where there were AA positions covering the area behind the beah.

Cheers,

Steve

its possible they neded a pice of brass tube to connect a few pipes and this fit the bill or alternatively the ywanted to show recruits the inside workings of a round also just suggestions but at the end of the day the only guy who knows is probably the man who chopped em in the first place you have an interesting mystery my friend thats cool art too zwerge

?

I think their after the filler ...

An easy substance at hand to help in lighting heating stoves etc ...

And also known to be used as a makeshift fuse when sprinkled along the floor ..

Gary J.

Well, I never expected this thread to get re-invigorated !

I think there may be a lot of things going on here, but in my mind the most common reason for this kind of cut through is trench art. 70% of the cut-throughs I find are not misfires or breakages in the barrel.
    The odd one or two are.....but it's a very small minority.

Most are deliberate cuts and many have even had inner 'sleeves' added.

I have included pics of all my cut throughs, 50cal and 20mm. You will note that these are not at all uncommon !!!

And as for cutting them up to get at the charge......surely there are MUCH easier ways than cutting through a cartridge ?! Taking a pair of pliers to the bullet springs to mind, as does the use of a inertia puller !

Cheers

Steve T
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Let's settle this !   Let's settle this !  

Errm... Mine given to me by an ex WAAF, given to her by a suiter.
    It, as you can see works and I do use it. Cartridge dated '42. Sorry for bad quality of pic's .

Martyn. (working on those bloody tags!)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Let's settle this !   Let's settle this !  

martyn you star lol i think most of us miossed the obvious

Must admit to knowing for a while. It was a pic Steve put on a while ago... 3rd (4th cartridgwe along), that clinched it. Sorry to have kept you waiting Steve.

Martyn.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Let's settle this !  

No worries martyn.....I am sure an opportunity to keep you guessing will present itself to me in the future

Cheers

Steve T

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4