Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Local WW2 Airbase finds.

Article about: I decided to venture over to the local ww2 airbase last night (with a little encouragement from SteveT ) The area is absolutely enormous, so I was just wondering around rather aimlessly! For

Default Local WW2 Airbase finds.

I decided to venture over to the local ww2 airbase last night (with a little encouragement from SteveT )

The area is absolutely enormous, so I was just wondering around rather aimlessly!

For the first hour I didnt really find much, but on the way back to the car, a particular area was sending the old detector wild!! I didnt have much time due to bad light, so I could only dig for a short while.

I don't think Ive found anything of great significance - YET - but all the same, heres the bits I found yesterday.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Local WW2 Airbase finds.   Local WW2 Airbase finds.  

Local WW2 Airbase finds.   Local WW2 Airbase finds.  

Local WW2 Airbase finds.  

Default Re: Local WW2 Airbase finds.

Hey

Sorry it's taken so long to reply......I am away from home at the minute.

Firstly an apology from me ! My replies made you go out to the base and do a 'general' search rather than a targetted one, resulting in a bit of a disappointing search for you.......So I am sorry.

I can't see anything that is readily identifiable as WW2 in your above finds.

What you need to do now is spend some time identifying likely areas as I mentioned in the other thread. For instance, the first time I visited 'my' airbase I found few WW2 relics. After doing a bit more research and identifying where the Cannon butts were on the site, I returned a week later and found 18 50cal cartridges in one hole, and then went on to find a shed load more stuff in and around the area of the base armoury.

Research will pay dividends ! Promise

Steve T

Quote by Steve T View Post
    Firstly an apology from me ! My replies made you go out to the base and do a 'general' search rather than a targetted one, resulting in a bit of a disappointing search for you.......So I am sorry.
    Hey Steve, don't be sorry. I'm quite pleased I went to be honest. It's give me a good feel for the place!

I'm currently in the middle of looking at old aerial photo's of said airbase, and overlaying them onto Google earth images. Also I need to try and establish the lay out of the place, i.e living quarters, arms stores, repair sheds, rubbish tips ect ect.

I'm hoping to know enough to go back this weekend.

Lee

By the way Steve........ is this you?

YouTube - relic hunting 2

Yep !

That's me

Have a look at the video of the 25lb base ejecting shell I found on an old gunnery range..........enough to make your toes curl !

Steve T

Haha, I thought it was! I stumbled across it last night whilst looking for another video.... weird eh!!

I'll go onto your YouTube page and have a good nosey through your vids. Hopefully I'll pick up a few hints and tips too

Lee

?

Dont give up Woody, the third item looks like a bit of US aircraft. It's the right colour and made of aluminium. No idea what from though!

Chris Collins
    ?

Quote by Steve T View Post
    Hey

Sorry it's taken so long to reply......I am away from home at the minute.

I can't see anything that is readily identifiable as WW2 in your above finds.

What you need to do now is spend some time identifying likely areas as I mentioned in the other thread. For instance, the first time I visited 'my' airbase I found few WW2 relics. After doing a bit more research and identifying where the Cannon butts were on the site, I returned a week later and found 18 50cal cartridges in one hole, and then went on to find a shed load more stuff in and around the area of the base armoury.

Research will pay dividends ! Promise

Steve T
    Quite Correct there Steve

I also hunted around the gun butts , and found 16 MILLS BOMBS

Mates all ran off, but it payed off as i gently dug around with a spoon, and found they had all been De-milled for training purposes, nice find that 16 grenades,

and throwing one over the wall at my quivering mates was even better.

also try around the blast pens, where the erks repaired aircraft, often find goodies there too !.. odd bits of aircraft. a mate of mine found , a "Airspeed Oxford badge, and the Gun Panel from a Mrk IIC Hurricane Nightfighter.. ,also do your research on aircrashes on or near the base, there was allways loads during wartime, I could help you in that dept, if i knew what base to search under.... I have all the crah files books
    Cheers
    Chris C