Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Ludham, Norfolk inert shell

Article about: Hi people, whilst working on a house that overlooked Ludham fighter airfield (I know Hurricane's flew out of there). We found this in the bottle dump. We had the Bomb disposal come up from C

Default Ludham, Norfolk inert shell

Hi people, whilst working on a house that overlooked Ludham fighter airfield (I know Hurricane's flew out of there). We found this in the bottle dump. We had the Bomb disposal come up from Colchester. We weren't allowed to use our phones (purely so we couldn't inform the local press). We had to stay there with the police until the UXB team arrived. I was told if it turned out to be inert I could keep it. But when they turned up they just said & I quote "oh yeah, it's a practice shell. We're taking it for our museum? At the barracks" (bugger). Still at least I got some pics. I Spoke to the old boy who lived there during the war & he told me some stuff. But it's best I don't divulge that here. Anyway, here's the pics. Stewy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ludham, Norfolk inert shell   Ludham, Norfolk inert shell  

Ludham, Norfolk inert shell   Ludham, Norfolk inert shell  

By the way I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the ordnance section. Please feel free to move it moderators if needs be. Stewy

Hi Stewy. Its not a shell but is in fact the head off an RAF practice bomb (cant remember the correct weight at the moment). Shame you couldnt keep it but as with all this stuff, better safe than sorry.

I have camped at Ludham and walked over a bit of the airfield grounds. I also seem to remember that there were a couple of interesting Home Guard related sites near the river?

Spitace is right - it's the head of an RAF Practice Bomb, either 9 or 11.5lb. It would have contained a No.28 Detonator/Burster to ignite ( usually ) a smoke spotting charge in the sheet-metal tail which has been detached.

Thanks guys, i thought it was worth posting. Much appreciated. Stewy

That's an interesting find!.....

I also have the fin section of a motar shell found on Winterton beach. That's in my possession, I'll have to get some pics. Stewy