Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

M24 Stielgranate Splittermantel for the SS

Article about: Was going through some boxes today, as I'm selling a lot of stuff I've found over the years. Came across this Splittermantel, with a M24 still inside (empty of course). I remember I picked i

Default M24 Stielgranate Splittermantel for the SS

Was going through some boxes today, as I'm selling a lot of stuff I've found over the years. Came across this Splittermantel, with a M24 still inside (empty of course). I remember I picked it up some years ago in the Ardennes. These were developed by the SS in 1942. Still has the color on the head of the potato masher! Wonder if the text is still readable under the sleeve, but I guess I'll never know as I don't want to take it apart, and it's going on Fleabay now.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M24 Stielgranate Splittermantel for the SS   M24 Stielgranate Splittermantel for the SS  

M24 Stielgranate Splittermantel for the SS  

Default Re: M24 Stielgranate Splittermantel for the SS

So it's not FOR but USED BY the SS

Default Re: M24 Stielgranate Splittermantel for the SS

Yes, I guess that is what I mean to say. Sorry, English is not my native language.

"The Splittermantel, or Splitterring was a smooth fragmentation sleeve for the M24/39 and later the M43 stick grenades, developed by the SS in 1942. The serrated type was a later development of the Wehrmacht.
    As German stick grenades had only a thin steel casing surrounding the explosive charge, they relied principally on blast for effect.
    The addition of a Splitterring to a standard stick grenade gave it greatly increased fragmentation ability.
    The smooth sleeve stayed in place because of a tight fit, the serrated type was kept in place with three keepers around the base, and secured with a tension ring.
    Both versions can be found marked and unmarked.
    A thirt version is know to be fitted over the cylindrical NIPOLIT grenade."

This is what I found on the Splittermantels on the lexpev site.