Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

M35 Double Decal Relic

Article about: Hello folks. Supposed to be saving for W&P next month, but you know how it goes! Bought this one for £35 off fleaBay. An apple green Heer M35, recovered during agricultural works in Russ

Default M35 Double Decal Relic

Hello folks.

Supposed to be saving for W&P next month, but you know how it goes! Bought this one for £35 off fleaBay.
    An apple green Heer M35, recovered during agricultural works in Russia. What sets it apart from other relics I've seen for sale, and the reason I decided to pick it up, are the decal remnants still visible under the rust. On the left side of the shell, you can just about make out the bottom arm of the swastika from a Heer decal. On the right, and what sold me on it, the red, white and black of the national tricolour.
    It's heavily battle damaged by shrapnel, damage that I sincerely hope wasn't incurred when the poor devil was wearing it! This includes an impact to the dome, which has cracked the helmet, a few small shrapnel or bullet holes on the left side, and one large impact just behind the tricolour. The latter has passed clean through and punched a hole through the skirt at the back. Remarkably, the rolled edge has held firm. If this had been an M42, I'm sure this lid would have been split into two pieces.
    A wonderful historic piece!

I've purchased this one with the intention of treating it with oxalic acid. Said acid is currently on its way to me, and as soon as it arrives I'll be giving it a bath. From what I can see, there is very little corrosion to the steel, only caked and bubbling rust that has spread over the surface. On the inner right hand side of the skirt, it's already been cleaned away to apply a number. Looking at that area, I'd say I'm in for a pleasant surprise with this one!

Regards, B.B.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M35 Double Decal Relic   M35 Double Decal Relic  

M35 Double Decal Relic   M35 Double Decal Relic  

M35 Double Decal Relic   M35 Double Decal Relic  

MAP
    ?

I'm not much into relic shells but this is a nice example (if you don't mind KIA which I'm not crazy about...but that is just me). Should clean up nicely. Awaiting the results
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    I'm not much into relic shells but this is a nice example (if you don't mind KIA which I'm not crazy about...but that is just me). Should clean up nicely. Awaiting the results
    The fact that it's only a shell, with no liner or rivets, makes me think this was an example that was simply damaged and discarded during combat. If I'm wrong, it's a very sobering testament to the bloody and savage fighting that took place on the Eastern Front.

Having seen the results of oxalic acid here on this forum, I'm buzzing for the results myself.

B.B.

Have received the acid and am ready to go. The process will begin in the morning, and by this time tomorrow I'll have before and after photos posted here.

One question regarding the acid solution, though. Does it have to be disposed of in a particular way, or can it simply be poured down the sink?

B.B.

There is very long thread under "Restorations" which discusses this "Acid" . You may want to read that first.
    Warnings about flushing it down the drain

Much appreciated! Will go and have a look...

B.B.

Status report!

I put the helmet through the oxalic process today. But whether it was a result of the solution I mixed being too weak, or simply a lack of elbow grease when it came to scrubbing it off, the results on rust removal have been minimal at best. In a way, I'm glad. It has a unique character to it, being a small piece of the Eastern Front. I'll be keeping it like this, as I've grown quite fond of the way it looks now.

One exciting result of the oxalic bath was the reveal of a number stamped into the inner skirt, beneath where the left chinstrap buckle would have been. The area had already been scrubbed clean by the person who dug it up, but the acid has made the stamps easier to read. Hopefully one of the helmet experts here can now tell me what exactly I have here.

The stamp appears to read either 'EF 65' or 'FF 65'

Have provided a photograph of it, but it's hardly legible. The best my tablet can do!

Regards, B.B.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M35 Double Decal Relic