Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

In Memory of the Crew of Tornado ZD809 Crashed 14th October 1999.

Article about: I know this is modern non World War related aviation archaelogy post but i helped research this incident with some aircrash researchers from Newcastle back in early 2000 and corresponded reg

Default Re: In Memory of the Crew of Tornado ZD809 Crashed 14th October 1999.

Quote by flingstop1 View Post
    Thats fantastic and thanks so much for the photo of the grave of Richard Wright as this is most welcome. The photo of the wreckage you collected from the other Tornado crash is fascinating too. It seems the MOD once they have the crucial pieces of wreckage do not seem too worried about any surplus and leave it either behind at the crash site or with individuals who have collected it??? As i mentioned earlier in this thread there used to be two notable guys who used to commercially sell crash relic items even from 'modern' crash sites so steps were taken to ensure this did not occur with ZD809. At the crash site of ZD809 Jim Corbett found part of the fuselarge bearing the aircrafts serial number or at least part of it and that was without doubt the best find there and obviously worth money to a collector. That said pieces were also found in the ploughed field around the site. What still lies there in the woods now im not sure as no one i know has been back there to look. Regards, Tim.

It would seam to me that the RAF can no longer afford to search for items once the main items of interest have been recovered. If a land owner was to complain of further wreckage being found, I would imagine they would be compensated by the MOD or a recovery team dispatched from crash and smash. I'd also imagine that any wreckage left over and unclaimed may become the property of the land owner (Thats just an opinion and based on nothing). If that were true, perhaps, and this is just a thought, perhaps some small items could be sold to collectors and proceeds given to charity or to the family. Thats just a thought and perhaps it not respectfull, but it depends on everyones views I suppose.

Quote by m3bobby View Post
    It would seam to me that the RAF can no longer afford to search for items once the main items of interest have been recovered. If a land owner was to complain of further wreckage being found, I would imagine they would be compensated by the MOD or a recovery team dispatched from crash and smash. I'd also imagine that any wreckage left over and unclaimed may become the property of the land owner (Thats just an opinion and based on nothing). If that were true, perhaps, and this is just a thought, perhaps some small items could be sold to collectors and proceeds given to charity or to the family. Thats just a thought and perhaps it not respectfull, but it depends on everyones views I suppose.
    I agree, i dont think theres anything wrong in respectfull ownership of modern crash relics after all in many cases the relics are the only thing left from these terrible events, especially where loss of life has occurred. The MOD dont seem to be too concerned with the families after bereavements as i learned from Julie Casabayo the wife of the navigator of ZD809. Really felt for that girl as she was having tough time preparing a case against the MOD just so as she could get some little compensation. I never did find out how she got on and i did write to her a few years back but did not receive a reply. I only hope that life has been good to her since and that she has been able to move on from losing the man she loved so much.

Attachment 299908Attachment 299909Attachment 299908Attachment 299909Here are a couple more really good photographs of Tornado ZD809. One shows her in process of inflight refuelling the other she is a static display possibly taken at an airshow.

Attachment 303597Attachment 303598Attachment 303599
    Quote by Falschirmjager View Post
    Attachment 299908Attachment 299909Attachment 299908Attachment 299909Here are a couple more really good photographs of Tornado ZD809. One shows her in process of inflight refuelling the other she is a static display possibly taken at an airshow.
    Few more photos of Tornado ZD809 in the form of couple of static shots and one take-off at Finningley Airshow 1991. During this time she still retained her Desert Storm paint and artwork on her nose. During her time in the 1991 Gulf War she flew with 617 Squadron and completed 32 missions including Laser Guided Bomb sorties over Iraq and Kuwait under the name "Awesome Annie". One of her first missions was the bombing of the Euphrates Bridge.

Attachment 303765Attachment 303764Attachment 303763Attachment 303762
    Quote by Falschirmjager View Post
    Attachment 303597Attachment 303598Attachment 303599

Few more photos of Tornado ZD809 in the form of couple of static shots and one take-off at Finningley Airshow 1991. During this time she still retained her Desert Storm paint and artwork on her nose. During her time in the 1991 Gulf War she flew with 617 Squadron and completed 32 missions including Laser Guided Bomb sorties over Iraq and Kuwait under the name "Awesome Annie". One of her first missions was the bombing of the Euphrates Bridge.

Piece of wreckage thought to be either piece of leading edge from the Tornado's right tail-plane or possibly the flight re-fueling probe. The close up shows the details on the small data plate attached to this piece, you can clearly make out the words "PANAVIA".

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast