Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

In Memory of the Crew of Tornado ZD809 Crashed 14th October 1999.

Article about: I know this is modern non World War related aviation archaelogy post but i helped research this incident with some aircrash researchers from Newcastle back in early 2000 and corresponded reg

Metricate
    ?

Default Re: In Memory of the Crew of Tornado ZD809 Crashed 14th October 1999.

In Memory of the Crew of Tornado ZD809 Crashed 14th October 1999.

Dear All

Thank you for the fantastic thread and posts.

I am not sure if you are aware, but there is a Richard Wright Memorial Award for Aeronautical Achievement presented annually by Air Cadet Squadron 2497 Cosford to the Cadet demonstrating the best apptitude for Airmanship over the previous twelve months. As you can see from the picture the award consists of Richard's campaign medals from Kosovo and Iraq donated by Richard's parents mounted in a presentation frame.

I am proud to report that our son (James) was the winner of this award this year. We are very humbled by the generousity of Richard's parents to share Richard's medals in creating this award, and would like them to know we take good care of them.

Peter

Hi Peter that's excellent - thanks for the update and well done to James.

Metricate
    ?

Hi Dan. I forgot to mention that we were told Richard was from Wolverhampton and was also a Cadet at Cosford. Did you know Richard and his family? I know James would like to write and thank Richard's parents. Peter

Peter, Tim is the guy who researched the information in this thread so he may know the family, hopefully he will be along soon to clarify but he's not been around since sept 2012.

Rip.

Very nice.
    chris

Hi guys Tim here. Not been to the ZD809 Memorial page for long time but see posts have still been coming in which is brilliant. I once spoke with Flt Lt Richard Wrights father many years back about a photo if his son for a memorial thread. He said he would be happy to send me one but i never heard from him again and not wanting to appear insensitive i did not try again. Also emailed RAF Lossiemouth but did not even receive the courtesy of a reply which i half expected. Not really sure what to do about it really as i really think Richard Wright should be part of this commemoration so people can see what he looked like. The worst thing for people like me who do these memorial pages is the fact that some of the people we research remain faceless and are just names on a list. So if anyone has any ideas on where to go from here i would be pleased to hear. My new email is [email protected] Once again thanks to all who visit this page and contribute to it as its for the two airmen who lost their lives on that October day in 1999.

I was just watching an old video I have and one of the GR1 nose arts cought my eye, it was ZD809 'Hello Kuwait', its quite moving to see the A/C alive. Anyone know how to post up a video?

remembered.RIP.

I have now identified this part, its part of the discus, the section of wing that pivots on the main spar, its from the left hand wing, it just so happens I have a photo of the right wing from ZA355 (Picture reversed to match left side), a GR1 which I currently train armourers on.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast