Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Metal Detecting in Europe?

Article about: On my last relic hunting trip in France 3 guys were arrested.for using medal detecting But nothing happen to them because they were not digging with the detector when they got pick up.I have

Default Re: Metal Detecting in Europe?

On my last relic hunting trip in France 3 guys were arrested.for using medal detecting But nothing happen to them because they were not digging with the detector when they got pick up.I have never use one just walk the woods and fields.

I had heard that MDing for relic's in the Hurtgen forest was strictly prohibited.

Hi all

my only suggestion is to find any official Battlefield search organisations and ask them if they would accept you as a volunteer. There are a great number in Russia Im sure and most other now independent countries formerly part of the Soviet Union where there are organisations looking for missing soldiers with all necessary certificates and official permits. If you are succesful you can combine your interest in Archaeology with good deeds. You always find stuff regardless of whether an area has been searched before by any number of people. At least this it what I have realised after 10+ years digging in Kurland as a volunteer for an official organisation. I think my friends there and in the UK would concur.

I studied archaeology myself but soon gave up having a career as an archaeologist as there are precious few opportunities to make a living out of it; unless you are a Ph. D. Student or somesuch. In Sweden for example you have practically no opportunities to dig anywhere except as a member of a faculty. It is illegal do dig anywhere in Sweden. When I lived in Britain, you could pay to participate in archaeological excavations- at least at the time I lived there. Lots of ads in Popular Archaeology and other such magazines if I remember correctly. There should be a number of sources available on the internet as well.

Not sure about the Benelux countries but France is highly restricted and again, if I remember correctly, it is illegal to take out any items of historical interest from the country.

Good luck with your search!

I just returned from 3 weeks in Germany and France.... Your best bet is to find undocumented possible battle sites based on maps of the front lines.... I found 4 great battle sites that are undocumented during December of 44, the use of my metal detector was almost pointless as there were too many hits. in one site I pulled up 30 various exploded artillery rounds, and could've done many more had I not run out of time.... There is a lot out there to be found, and found most of my stuff by simply eyeballing the ground.

?

Quote by Farrell View Post
    I just returned from 3 weeks in Germany and France.... Your best bet is to find undocumented possible battle sites based on maps of the front lines.... I found 4 great battle sites that are undocumented during December of 44, the use of my metal detector was almost pointless as there were too many hits. in one site I pulled up 30 various exploded artillery rounds, and could've done many more had I not run out of time.... There is a lot out there to be found, and found most of my stuff by simply eyeballing the ground.
    You had the relevant authorities and permission of course ???
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Not too many German laws, it is a slow growing hobby there but doesn't raise any eyebrows.... The way I interpreted the 3 basic rules are: 1 - you cannot detect on a National Monument Site 2 - "If the Polize asks you to stop, then STOP. 3 - If the property Owner asks you to stop then STOP. Otherwise enjoy and be respectful to the beautiful country.

Of course.....the property owner was impressed with the knowledge that I shared with him on his land.

?

Quote by Farrell View Post
    Not too many German laws, it is a slow growing hobby there but doesn't raise any eyebrows.... The way I interpreted the 3 basic rules are: 1 - you cannot detect on a National Monument Site 2 - "If the Polize asks you to stop, then STOP. 3 - If the property Owner asks you to stop then STOP. Otherwise enjoy and be respectful to the beautiful country.
    An interesting interpretaion of the Law , I think you will find there are German laws and it will raise a few eyebrows and as you say you have been detecting in France as well you had better understand French laws as well which are very restrictive , can i suggest you read through this thread and others plus if you could conform with our basic regulation of posting here.

Please read before attempting to post in this section !!!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

" in one site I pulled up 30 various exploded artillery rounds,"

So what do you do with unexploded artillery rounds?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4