Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Metal Detecting in Europe?

Article about: On my last relic hunting trip in France 3 guys were arrested.for using medal detecting But nothing happen to them because they were not digging with the detector when they got pick up.I have

Default Metal Detecting in Europe?

Hi everyone,
    I'm new to this forum. I'm amazed at the items that you all have found. I'm one of the many people that are dyeing to go out and try it. I live in Canada, just so you all know.

My question is, do you think that there will be any chance of being able to do any archaeology excavations in the next 10 years?
    Do you think there are still tons of things to be dug up?
    Is it worth becoming an Archaeologist?

Thanks a lot!
    Screaming Eagle

Default Re: Metal Detecting in Europe?

Go for it.I dug for ww1 and ww2 items and you can find alot of ww1 stuff after 90 years it will be the same thing for ww2 stuff.

where in Europe?

Quote by dragunov View Post
    where in Europe?
    Anywhere. My first try would be in a forest such as Hurtgen Forest, because I'm guessing the battlefield is more or less untouched. I'm not sure

As for ww1 Archaeology, I was told that there is still 150 years worth of Archaeology to be dug.
    For ww2, I was told almost 95% would be gone in the next 10- 15 years.
    Do you guys think these are accurate estimates?

Thanks for replying,
    Eagle

?

Welcome to the forum

I have to point out that metal detecting / Battlefield Archaeolgy is not a free for all, particulary in Western Europe so if you are serious about your intentions please use this site to research the laws in whichever country you intend to go too , being caught breaking the law in many countries is not a pleasant experience.

regards

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by Paul E View Post
    Welcome to the forum

I have to point out that metal detecting / Battlefield Archaeolgy is not a free for all, particulary in Western Europe so if you are serious about your intentions please use this site to research the laws in whichever country you intend to go too , being caught breaking the law in many countries is not a pleasant experience.

regards

Paul
    You correct.

Quote by Screaming Eagle View Post
    Anywhere. My first try would be in a forest such as Hurtgen Forest, because I'm guessing the battlefield is more or less untouched. I'm not sure

As for ww1 Archaeology, I was told that there is still 150 years worth of Archaeology to be dug.
    For ww2, I was told almost 95% would be gone in the next 10- 15 years.
    Do you guys think these are accurate estimates?

Thanks for replying,
    Eagle
    This is not accurate I was told ww1 would be 500 years.
    and ww2 95 % would be gone in 10 to 15 years no way first there is not that many people that look for stuff. and in many country you can not look with a medal detector>

HVK
    ?

There is not much to be found in Hurtgen Forest any more. All the obvious places in Europe is more or less vacum cleaned - unless you live there and have the time. I would go for a guided tour for eastern europe or the baltic....

Quote by HVK View Post
    There is not much to be found in Hurtgen Forest any more. All the obvious places in Europe is more or less vacum cleaned - unless you live there and have the time. I would go for a guided tour for eastern europe or the baltic....
    I would disagree with you on that.If you are a sunday digger that will be a problem .I dig in europe 4 times a year and find great stuff look at my thread it will show you what is still there.If you are talking about walkings the woods and you see guns and helmets russia is good.

agreed, Chris. Hurtgen forest is where i am going to go.
    Russia is packed with relics and leftovers, but has very strict detecting laws. If you are planning on going to Russia, be careful

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast